May I know the best way to upgrade Windows Salt minions which has different minion-ids..which are not same as Hostnames. For example, we have we have prefixed the minion ids with some letters and suffixed with some different strings.. example: abc-<hostname>-dfddfdfd. The strings are unpredictable and not following any pattern.. so, we must read salt minion config file and then pass it while upgrading the minion. Please help.

Thanks.

Regards,
Abul

  • Elias Probst at Jul 21, 2014 at 2:02 pm
    You don't really explain what's your actual problem.
    How are you upgrading your Minions and where do you need to know the
    hostname?

    You can easily target Windows Minions using the 'os' grain like this:
    salt -C 'G@os:Windows' pkg.install .....

    See also: http://docs.saltstack.com/en/latest/topics/targeting/

    - Elias