I followed the example for installing halite found here:

     http://salt.readthedocs.org/en/latest/topics/tutorials/halite.html

with my master config file now having:

external_auth:
pam:
haliteuser:
- .*
- '@runner'
and

##### Halite settings #####
###################################

halite:
level: 'debug'
server: 'paste'
host: '0.0.0.0'
port: '8080'
cors: False
tls: True
certpath: '/etc/pki/tls/certs/localhost.crt'
keypath: '/etc/pki/tls/certs/localhost.key'
pempath: '/etc/pki/tls/certs/localhost.pem'
I then went to my server on my web browser: http://iota:8080/app and got
"Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at iota:8080." So it
seemed to me that halite wasn't running. According to the tutorial its logs
are in /var/log/salt/master so I tried the following:

grep "halite" /var/log/salt/master
2014-07-16 14:22:14,744 [salt.config ][DEBUG ] Including
configuration from '/etc/salt/master.d/halite.conf'
2014-07-16 14:22:14,748 [salt.config ][DEBUG ] Reading
configuration from /etc/salt/master.d/halite.conf
Which has got me really confused. I thought that was all in
/etc/salt/master. So I copy pasted the configuration above into
/etc/salt/master.d/halite.conf making a new file in the process. No change.
So i tried this command referenced in the github quick start:

./server_bottle.py -d -C -l debug -s paste

in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/halite. The result when I went to
iota:8080/app was an internal server error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/halite/bottle.py", line 861, in _handle
return route.call(**args)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/halite/bottle.py", line 1725, in wrapper
rv = callback(*a, **ka)
File "./server_bottle.py", line 60, in appGet
save=False,))
File "./server_bottle.py", line 446, in createStaticMain
with open(mainMoldPath, "r") as fp:
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/halite/mold/main_bottle.html'
And so now I feel like I'm at a loss. I bet this is the kind of thing where
I just left a semi-colon off of the end of a line some where. but I don't
know where to go looking for it. TT_TT

  • Aditya Kulkarni at Jul 19, 2014 at 3:46 pm
    Hey Toby,

    Thanks for reporting this to the mailing list!

    Looks like you are using paste server for deployment. Please ensure that
    you have the “paste" python package installed.

    Also, could you please check to make sure that the file
    '/etc/pki/tls/certs/localhost.pem’ is present on your system (and can be
    read by the user running Salt/Halite)?

    You can define Halite's settings in /etc/salt/master or
    /etc/salt/master.d/halite.conf

    One you have this in place restarting the Salt Master should restart Halite
    as well.

    It is not necessary/advisable to run “./server_bottle.py -d -C -l debug -s
    paste” manually, if you installed Halite through package/pip install.
    Hope this helps, please let us know if you have any further questions!

    Thanks!

    - Adi.

[...]

  • Toby Archer at Jul 21, 2014 at 9:45 am
    The Pem seems to have been the problem. I though I had created it, but I
    had only for /etc/pki/test/certs/localhost.pem, and not pki/tls. So I
    created that, commented out the configuration in master.d/halite.conf, and
    it seems to be working. excellent, thank you.