I got a feeling this is something really small and stupid but I have been
bashing my head for a few hours now and thought it time to ask the experts.

I did an apt-get install on ubuntu of the salt stack, configure the minion
and started everything up. Went off with out a hitch, everything worked.

If I follow the same procedure on Fedora 19, the master never sees the
minion key requests.

My question:
Has anyone got this running successfully on Fedora 19?
If yes, could you point out any issues you ran into so I can try and get
this running as well please?

Thanks!

  • Charles Baker at Jul 9, 2014 at 6:42 pm
    Is the version of salt on the minion on Fedora 19 newer than the version of
    salt on the master?

    salt "*" test.versions_report

    I got a feeling this is something really small and stupid but I have been
    bashing my head for a few hours now and thought it time to ask the experts.

    I did an apt-get install on ubuntu of the salt stack, configure the minion
    and started everything up. Went off with out a hitch, everything worked.

    If I follow the same procedure on Fedora 19, the master never sees the
    minion key requests.

    My question:
    Has anyone got this running successfully on Fedora 19?
    If yes, could you point out any issues you ran into so I can try and get
    this running as well please?

    Thanks!

    Charles H. Baker
    864.990.1297
    Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.
    Bruce Lee

  • Kenneth Clark at Jul 10, 2014 at 7:04 am
    Thanks for getting back to me Charles, it just hangs when I run that command

    On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 11:51 AM, Kenneth Clark <kenneth.c...@gmail.com
    I got a feeling this is something really small and stupid but I have been
    bashing my head for a few hours now and thought it time to ask the experts.

    I did an apt-get install on ubuntu of the salt stack, configure the
    minion and started everything up. Went off with out a hitch, everything
    worked.

    If I follow the same procedure on Fedora 19, the master never sees the
    minion key requests.

    My question:
    Has anyone got this running successfully on Fedora 19?
    If yes, could you point out any issues you ran into so I can try and get
    this running as well please?

    Thanks!

    Charles H. Baker
    864.990.1297
    Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.
    Bruce Lee
  • Charles Baker at Jul 10, 2014 at 11:44 am
    Can the minion resolve the master's name? Is out named anything other than
    salt?

    You can run a similar command on the minion itself using salt-call.

    salt-call --local --versions-report
[...]

  • Kenneth Clark at Jul 10, 2014 at 7:13 am
    Thanks for getting back to me Charles
    Output:

    [ERROR ] Salt request timed out. If this error persists, worker_threads
    may need to be increased.
    Failed to authenticate, is this user permitted to execute commands?

    I am unable to accept the keys from the minion on the server as the server
    doesn't show them in salt-key -L

    Thanks
    Kenneth
    I got a feeling this is something really small and stupid but I have been
    bashing my head for a few hours now and thought it time to ask the experts.

    I did an apt-get install on ubuntu of the salt stack, configure the minion
    and started everything up. Went off with out a hitch, everything worked.

    If I follow the same procedure on Fedora 19, the master never sees the
    minion key requests.

    My question:
    Has anyone got this running successfully on Fedora 19?
    If yes, could you point out any issues you ran into so I can try and get
    this running as well please?

    Thanks!
  • Valentin Bud at Jul 10, 2014 at 7:16 am
    Hello Kenneth,

    You have to set the master [1] in the minion configuration. By
    default the minion looks in DNS for salt.domain.tld for its
    master.

    If you already have the salt entry in DNS than ignore the above,
    something else in happening.

    [1]:
    http://docs.saltstack.com/en/latest/ref/configuration/minion.html#master

    Best,
    Valentin

[...]

    http://databus.pro | valentin@databus.pro

  • Kenneth Clark at Jul 10, 2014 at 7:36 am
    Thanks Valentin,

    I double check everything and it is set up correctly as far as I can tell.

    The minion finds the master without any trouble and then sits here:
    [WARNING ] SaltReqTimeoutError: Waited 60 seconds
    [INFO ] Waiting for minion key to be accepted by the master.
    [DEBUG ] Loaded minion key: /etc/salt/pki/minion/minion.pem

    Then the master sits here:
    [DEBUG ] Updating fileserver cache
    [DEBUG ] diff_mtime_map: the maps are the same
    [DEBUG ] This salt-master instance has accepted 0 minion keys.

    issuing salt-key -L produces:
    Accepted Keys:
    Unaccepted Keys:
    Rejected Keys:
    I got a feeling this is something really small and stupid but I have been
    bashing my head for a few hours now and thought it time to ask the experts.

    I did an apt-get install on ubuntu of the salt stack, configure the minion
    and started everything up. Went off with out a hitch, everything worked.

    If I follow the same procedure on Fedora 19, the master never sees the
    minion key requests.

    My question:
    Has anyone got this running successfully on Fedora 19?
    If yes, could you point out any issues you ran into so I can try and get
    this running as well please?

    Thanks!
  • Valentin Bud at Jul 10, 2014 at 7:46 am
    Hello Kenneth,

    Is the master accepting incoming traffic on 4505 and 4506 TCP [1]?

    [1]: http://docs.saltstack.com/en/latest/topics/tutorials/firewall.html

[...]

  • Kenneth Clark at Jul 10, 2014 at 8:03 am
    Hi Valentin

    Yes it appears it is

    tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:4505 0.0.0.0:*
    LISTEN
    tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:4506 0.0.0.0:*
    LISTEN
    tcp 0 0 localhost.localdom:4506 localhost.localdo:33010
    ESTABLISHED
    tcp 0 0 localhost.localdo:33010 localhost.localdom:4506
    ESTABLISHED

    I got a feeling this is something really small and stupid but I have been
    bashing my head for a few hours now and thought it time to ask the experts.

    I did an apt-get install on ubuntu of the salt stack, configure the minion
    and started everything up. Went off with out a hitch, everything worked.

    If I follow the same procedure on Fedora 19, the master never sees the
    minion key requests.

    My question:
    Has anyone got this running successfully on Fedora 19?
    If yes, could you point out any issues you ran into so I can try and get
    this running as well please?

    Thanks!
  • Valentin Bud at Jul 10, 2014 at 8:13 am
    Hello Kenneth,

    I was referring to the firewall on the master. Can you check that?

    # iptables -L -v -n

    Apologize for not being specific.

    Best,
    Valentin

[...]

  • Kenneth Clark at Jul 10, 2014 at 8:21 am
    No problem at all Valentin, I really appreciate you taking the time to help
    with this

    Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 58750 packets, 88M bytes)
      pkts bytes target prot opt in out source
    destination

    Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
      pkts bytes target prot opt in out source
    destination

    Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 52753 packets, 20M bytes)
      pkts bytes target prot opt in out source
    destination
    I got a feeling this is something really small and stupid but I have been
    bashing my head for a few hours now and thought it time to ask the experts.

    I did an apt-get install on ubuntu of the salt stack, configure the minion
    and started everything up. Went off with out a hitch, everything worked.

    If I follow the same procedure on Fedora 19, the master never sees the
    minion key requests.

    My question:
    Has anyone got this running successfully on Fedora 19?
    If yes, could you point out any issues you ran into so I can try and get
    this running as well please?

    Thanks!
  • Valentin Bud at Jul 10, 2014 at 8:35 am
    Hello Kenneth,

    The check for different versions on the master and the minion
    is not a bad idea. It might shed some light.

    Don't use the master for that, you don't have the minion connected
    to it. Use the following:

    # salt-minion --versions-report

    So, to recap, you have configured the minion with the master IP address,
    restarted the minion, waited a bit and the minion didn't appear in salt-key
    output.

    Totally unrelated, but do you have network connectivity between the minion
    and the master?

    Also you can run on debug mode, both the master and the minion using the
    following:

    # salt-minion -l debug
    # salt-master -l debug

    Best,
    Valentin

[...]

  • Kenneth Clark at Jul 10, 2014 at 8:43 am
    # salt-minion --versions-report
                Salt: 2014.1.5
              Python: 2.7.5 (default, Nov 12 2013, 16:18:42)
              Jinja2: 2.6
            M2Crypto: 0.21.1
      msgpack-python: 0.1.13
        msgpack-pure: Not Installed
            pycrypto: 2.6.1
              PyYAML: 3.10
               PyZMQ: 13.0.0
                 ZMQ: 3.2.4

    #salt-master --versions-report
                Salt: 2014.1.5
              Python: 2.7.5 (default, Nov 12 2013, 16:18:42)
              Jinja2: 2.6
            M2Crypto: 0.21.1
      msgpack-python: 0.1.13
        msgpack-pure: Not Installed
            pycrypto: 2.6.1
              PyYAML: 3.10
               PyZMQ: 13.0.0
                 ZMQ: 3.2.4

    *So, to recap, you have configured the minion with the master IP address
    restarted the minion, waited a bit and the minion didn't appear in salt-key
    output.*
    Yes, I am running them both on the same machine, minion is configured to
    connect to to master on 127.0.0.1

    *Totally unrelated, but do you have network connectivity between the minion
    and the master?*They are running on the same machine so physical network
    connectivity is not an issue

    *# salt-minion -l debug*
[...]

  • Valentin Bud at Jul 10, 2014 at 10:11 am
    I would remove the /etc/salt/pki directory and restart both the master and
    the minion.

    If it still doesn't work eventlisten.py [1] can help see what events are
    there
    on ZMQ.

    Can be run with `python eventlisten.py`.

    There should flow auth events from minion to master.

    [1]: wget
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/saltstack/salt/develop/tests/eventlisten.py

[...]

  • Kenneth Clark at Jul 10, 2014 at 12:08 pm
    Hi Charles

    Yes the minion is able to resolve the hostname.
    The versions are both the same as well.

    Valentin
    when I run the python script it tells me:
    ipc:///var/run/salt/master/master_event_pub.ipc

    And then nothing else. Even if I stop and restart the minion nothing gets
    added.

    Some interesting developments. I tried to preseeded the keys and the server
    "accepted" the authentication of the minion. But when issuing a command to
    the minion it never reached the minion. I am beginning to think that there
    might be some sort of underlying security configuration I have missed on
    the base OS (selinux and firewalld have been disabled are are not currently
    running). The client is able to connect to masters on different operating
    systems but not on the Fedora 19 master.

    Thank you all so much for your help!
    I got a feeling this is something really small and stupid but I have been
    bashing my head for a few hours now and thought it time to ask the experts.

    I did an apt-get install on ubuntu of the salt stack, configure the minion
    and started everything up. Went off with out a hitch, everything worked.

    If I follow the same procedure on Fedora 19, the master never sees the
    minion key requests.

    My question:
    Has anyone got this running successfully on Fedora 19?
    If yes, could you point out any issues you ran into so I can try and get
    this running as well please?

    Thanks!
  • Kenneth Clark at Jul 12, 2014 at 7:02 pm
    Hi every one

    Thank you so much for all your help regarding this. After two days
    investigation it turns out that the desktop manager might have been the
    issues.

    Process we followed:
    Install master on base Fedora 19 VM
    Install minion on base Fedora 19 VM - this configuration worked out of the
    box.

    Installed minion on Fedora 19 running Gnome
    Installed master on same machine - master could not accept keys for minion

    Installed master on base Fedora 19 VM
    Installed minion on host Fedora 19 running Gnome - master is able to accept
    keys.

    What we didn't identify is the possibility that it is Gnome that is cause
    the issues with the master or all of the desktop managers.

    Installing salt minion and master on Fedora 20 running KDE worked out of
    the box.

    Knowing that the server runs fine without the Gnome desktop has allowed us
    to move forward in our investigations and I thought I would post this
    resolution here for anyone else that might need it.

    Thanks again so much to Valentin and Charles for taking the time to help me
    trace this issue.

    Regards
    Kenneth
    I got a feeling this is something really small and stupid but I have been
    bashing my head for a few hours now and thought it time to ask the experts.

    I did an apt-get install on ubuntu of the salt stack, configure the minion
    and started everything up. Went off with out a hitch, everything worked.

    If I follow the same procedure on Fedora 19, the master never sees the
    minion key requests.

    My question:
    Has anyone got this running successfully on Fedora 19?
    If yes, could you point out any issues you ran into so I can try and get
    this running as well please?

    Thanks!
  • Valentin Bud at Jul 13, 2014 at 11:34 am
    Hello Kenneth,

    I am glad you've figured it out :).

    Best,
    Valentin