I would recommend going through the state tutorial here:
http://docs.saltstack.com/en/latest/topics/tutorials/states_pt1.html

And then once you get a handle on how all of that works, I would recommend
looking into the `file` state (state functions such as `file.managed`,
`file.directory`, and `file.recurse` will be particularly useful). You can
also look into the `user` state (`user.present` is the best way to make
sure users are present on a system).

Hope that helps!

--
Colton Myers