I'm trying to create a new minion using salt-cloud and then manage that
minion with a currently running master. I'm able to successfully create
the minion and the master even gets the minion's key. But after that, if I
run a 'salt-run manage.status' it always shows as down and doesn't respond
to any commands (e.g. test.ping). What's odd is that output in both the
master and minion logs suggest that an initial test.ping command is issued
and successfully returned as part of the initialization.

Another peculiar oddity is that when I run any command locally on the
minion (e.g. salt-call test.ping), I get the output of 'iptables --help'
barfed out before the command response (i.e. local: True). This also shows
up in the logs, but there aren't any other messages to suggest some kind of
error. Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on, or where I could
look to see what's going wrong? I'm pretty much out of ideas.

  • Shaun Carlson at Jul 7, 2014 at 3:04 am
    Some additional things I've looked at that I forgot to mention:

    ports 4505 and 4506 are open on the master's iptables configuration and
    Amazon firewall (I can telnet into both ports)
    port 22 is open on the minion's iptables configuration and Amazon firewall
    (I can successfully connect)
    I can run pretty much any command with salt-cloud and the minion responds
    (e.g. salt-cloud -d minion), presumably because it's using the pregenerated
    key specified in the cloud config files
    Neither the master nor the minion log contain anything that looks like an
    error, other than the output from 'iptables --help' showing up in the
    minion log for whatever reason
[...]

  • Colton Myers at Jul 18, 2014 at 7:04 pm
    So the `iptables --help` output was a bug in the 2014.1.5, and you can just
    ignore the noise, it's not actually a problem, just annoying.

    As far as the minion not responding, can you look up the results of the
    minion's job in the job cache?
    http://docs.saltstack.com/en/latest/topics/jobs/index.html I'd be
    interested to know if it's just a CLI timeout but the minion is still
    returning, or what's going on there.

    --
    Colton Myers

[...]

    Also, actual log output from minion and master on a test.ping run would be
    useful.

    --
    Colton Myers

[...]

  • Shaun Carlson at Jul 18, 2014 at 8:20 pm
    Thank you so much for your response. That's good to know about the
    iptables output, I was a little worried something was going wrong there
    (though I couldn't see any reason why).

    Below is a gist with outputs from various logs and commands, all as a
    result of spinning up an entirely new EC2 instance with salt-cloud. Some
    things to note, on the master I have another minion set up called 'test'
    that is responding to commands, I set that one up manually. I tried to
    create a new minion called 'minion1' with salt-cloud which is not
    responding after it has been created.

    Another oddity I just noticed, but in the minion log, I have entries from
    '2014-06-06 ...', but I can assure you that this minion only came to life
    by virtue of the salt-cloud command today (2014-07-18 ...). Also, from
    looking at this again, it appears that the minion is receiving a test.ping
    job request from the master as part of the initialization process and
    sending a response, but that response is never coming back. The apparent
    response I was seeing from the master was actually coming from my minion
    'test', it never sees the response from 'minion1' (as shown in the output
    from looking up jobs).

    Finally, that test.ping you see in the minion's log that seems to be a part
    of the initialization process is the last thing that ever shows up in the
    minion log. When I ran the ping command against minion1 from the master,
    nothing showed up in the minion log at all.

    I hope that helps, let me know if there's anything else I can run, or if I
    can clarify anything I did. I'm pretty baffled at this point (although I
    suspect it's all the result of something silly I've done).

    https://gist.github.com/mogman1/2fc9b1c5115238c9815d

    On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 1:04 PM, Colton Myers <colton...@gmail.com

    On Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 9:04 PM, Shaun Carlson <shaun....@gmail.com
[...]

  • Colton Myers at Jul 25, 2014 at 11:04 pm
    This is where my salt-cloud lack of knowledge shows, I'm not sure what's
    going on here. Would you mind filing an issue on Github, and including as
    much information as possible? I don't want this to fall through the cracks
    but don't have time to investigate further right now.

    --
    Colton Myers