I'm experiencing a problem in a multi-master setup where my minions don't
run highstate automatically on start-up, despite having "startup_states:
highstate" in their configuration file.
Is this a known issue?

My /etc/salt/minion file looks like this:

master:
   - salt-master-a.example.com
   - salt-master-b.example.com
log_level: debug
log_level_logfile: debug
startup_states: highstate
grains:
   roles:
     - couchbase
id: i-31ff4972

When the minion starts up, it connects to the master and running
state.highstate manually works ok.

# salt-call --versions
            Salt: 2014.1.3
          Python: 2.7.3 (default, Feb 27 2014, 19:58:35)
          Jinja2: 2.6
        M2Crypto: 0.21.1
  msgpack-python: 0.1.10
    msgpack-pure: Not Installed
        pycrypto: 2.4.1
          PyYAML: 3.10
           PyZMQ: 13.0.0
             ZMQ: 3.2.2

# cat /var/log/salt/minion
http://pastebin.com/3zp3JG2v

...and that's about it, nothing else happens. If i have a single master,
defined as: "master: salt-master-a.example.com" in the configuration file, startup_states:
highstate works ok.

  • Colton Myers at Jul 11, 2014 at 9:48 pm
    For those who find this thread, there's an issue:
    https://github.com/saltstack/salt/issues/13959

    --
    Colton Myers