Sorry if this is an obvious question, but how does one create a VM in
google compute engine
using salt cloud, which uses SSDs for a persistent disk instead of the
default 'standard' PD ?
For example, if you're using gcutil to create the VM you'd
pass '--disk-type=pd-ssd' instead of (the default)
'--disk-type=pd-standard'
Is there an option for doing this using salt-cloud ?

cheers,
Tim

  • Eric Johnson at Jul 14, 2014 at 12:59 pm
    Hi Tim,

    Salt-cloud uses http://libcloud.apache.org under the hood. I've been
    working on a pull-request to get SSD added and once that's in place, I'll
    make sure salt-cloud is updated also.

    I'll have the PR out for libcloud this week (and hopefully merged). But it
    will likely take a bit for the next version of libcloud to be released on
    pypi since they just released 0.15.1.
    Sorry if this is an obvious question, but how does one create a VM in
    google compute engine
    using salt cloud, which uses SSDs for a persistent disk instead of the
    default 'standard' PD ?
    For example, if you're using gcutil to create the VM you'd
    pass '--disk-type=pd-ssd' instead of (the default)
    '--disk-type=pd-standard'
    Is there an option for doing this using salt-cloud ?

    cheers,
    Tim
  • Tim H Baker at Jul 14, 2014 at 11:23 pm
    Hi Eric,

    Salt-cloud uses http://libcloud.apache.org under the hood. I've been
    working on a pull-request to get SSD added and once that's in place, I'll
    make sure salt-cloud is updated also.
    That's great news. Thanks very much for your (and everyone's) work on
    salt-cloud. A very
    handy tool indeed to abstract away the differences between the various
    cloud
    providers.

    As an aside, is there any intention of adding support for the various DNS
    providers
    (Route53, GoogleDNS etc) directly in salt-cloud ? At the moment, if you
    want to
    manage DNS records you need to write (albeit a very small amount of ) Python
    to call Libcloud. It would be great if this could be done directly via salt
    (in YAML)

    cheers,
    Tim

  • Bruce Wang at Jul 15, 2014 at 2:01 am
    Hi Tim,

    There is a boto_route53[1] state you can use to manage Route53, not aware
    of something for GoogleDNS though.

    http://docs.saltstack.com/en/latest/ref/states/all/salt.states.boto_route53.html

    Cheers,

    working on a pull-request to get SSD added and once that's in place, I'll
    make sure salt-cloud is updated also.
    That's great news. Thanks very much for your (and everyone's) work on
    salt-cloud. A very
    handy tool indeed to abstract away the differences between the various
    cloud
    providers.

    As an aside, is there any intention of adding support for the various DNS
    providers
    (Route53, GoogleDNS etc) directly in salt-cloud ? At the moment, if you
    want to
    manage DNS records you need to write (albeit a very small amount of )
    Python
    to call Libcloud. It would be great if this could be done directly via
    salt (in YAML)

    cheers,
    Tim

    simple is good
    http://brucewang.net
    http://twitter.com/number5

  • Anonymous at Jul 15, 2014 at 12:07 pm
    Regarding Google Cloud DNS, we do have support in libcloud as of 0.15.0 so
    it should be pretty easy to add to salt-cloud. It's on my TODO list, but I
    have a few other things to get to first. I'd be happy to work with someone
    to review / test if you'd like to take the lead. :)