On a company network, Salt shall be used to regularly sanity- check a
Windows 7 client.
A Salt-Master is not needed and not feasible, for now.

On a Standalone Minion
<http://docs.saltstack.com/en/latest/topics/tutorials/standalone_minion.html>,
I can trigger one salt run with

c:\> salt-call --local state.highstate

But `salt-call` seems to ignore any scheduler information, so the salt call
terminates immediately.

The `salt-minion` command, on the other hand, requires a Salt-master, which
I cannot set up.

A service could regularly make the `salt-call`, but this seems like a waste
of resources.

Is there a way to make a loop in a state (execute a command and sleep), so
that the salt call continues?
Would there be memory leaks to watch out for?

Thank you,

Markus

  • Denis Witt at Jul 1, 2014 at 4:16 pm

    A service could regularly make the `salt-call`, but this seems like a
    waste of resources.

    Is there a way to make a loop in a state (execute a command and
    sleep), so that the salt call continues?
    Would there be memory leaks to watch out for?
    How about Windows "at" command?

    http://www.windows-commandline.com/windows-at-command-examples/

    Regards.
  • Markus Kramer at Jul 2, 2014 at 9:00 am
    Hi Denis,
    Do you mean I can use `at` within the salt-call?
    I only know that I can use `at` to regularly execute `salt-call`, that
    terminates, which I want to avoid.
    Kind regards
    A service could regularly make the `salt-call`, but this seems like a
    waste of resources.

    Is there a way to make a loop in a state (execute a command and
    sleep), so that the salt call continues?
    Would there be memory leaks to watch out for?
    How about Windows "at" command?

    http://www.windows-commandline.com/windows-at-command-examples/

    Regards.
  • Dmitry Golubenko at Jul 2, 2014 at 2:18 am

    On a company network, Salt shall be used to regularly sanity- check a
    Windows 7 client.
    A Salt-Master is not needed and not feasible, for now.

    On a Standalone Minion, I can trigger one salt run with

    c:\> salt-call --local state.highstate

    But `salt-call` seems to ignore any scheduler information, so the salt
    call terminates immediately.

    The `salt-minion` command, on the other hand, requires a Salt-master,
    which I cannot set up.
    why you can't setup local master listening on loopback to to feed minion
    with needed data/commands ?

    A service could regularly make the `salt-call`, but this seems like a
    waste of resources.

    Is there a way to make a loop in a state (execute a command and
    sleep), so that the salt call continues?
    Would there be memory leaks to watch out for?

    Thank you,

    Markus

  • Markus Kramer at Jul 2, 2014 at 9:08 am

    On a company network, Salt shall be used to regularly sanity- check a
    Windows 7 client.
    A Salt-Master is not needed and not feasible, for now.

    On a Standalone Minion, I can trigger one salt run with

    c:\> salt-call --local state.highstate

    But `salt-call` seems to ignore any scheduler information, so the salt
    call terminates immediately.

    The `salt-minion` command, on the other hand, requires a Salt-master,
    which I cannot set up.
    why you can't setup local master listening on loopback to to feed minion
    with needed data/commands ?
    Can you start a Salt-master on Windows? The Documentation says it is not
    possible
    <http://docs.saltstack.com/en/latest/topics/installation/windows.html>, so
    I did no try.

    A service could regularly make the `salt-call`, but this seems like a
    waste of resources.

    Is there a way to make a loop in a state (execute a command and
    sleep), so that the salt call continues?
    Would there be memory leaks to watch out for?

    Thank you,

    Markus

  • Colton Myers at Jul 11, 2014 at 9:52 pm
    I may be missing something, but does the scheduler solve this problem for
    you? http://docs.saltstack.com/en/latest/topics/jobs/schedule.html

    --
    Colton Myers

[...]

  • Markus Kramer at Jul 18, 2014 at 11:42 am
    Hi Colton,
    thank you, I was not aware of schedule, this seems to be the solution!

    Unfortunately, my first attemtp to use schedule fails with
    Data failed to compile:
    The state "schedule" in sls topbase is not formed as a list

    This is the content of topbase.sls
    write_Hallo:
       cmd.run:
         - cwd: \salt
         - name: topbaseWrite

    schedule:
       write_Hallo1:
         function: write_Hallo
         seconds: 20

    write_Hallo works with salt-call --local state.highstate

    In the second attempt I moved write_Hallo into file write_Hallo.sls
    and wrote
    schedule:
       write_Hallo1:
         function: write_Hallo.sls
         seconds: 20
    But this leads to the same error.

[...]

  • Colton Myers at Jul 22, 2014 at 10:43 pm
    So the schedule actually needs to be defined inside of a minion's pillar (
    http://docs.saltstack.com/en/latest/topics/tutorials/pillar.html) or inside
    of the minion configuration, not within your regular state tree.

    --
    Colton Myers