I have set up top.sls and security.sls as follows and run as follows,

-bash-4.1# salt vuwunicopatch02 state.highstate
vuwunicopatch02:
----------
           ID: states
     Function: no.None
       Result: False
      Comment: Unable to render top file. No targets found.
      Changes:

Summary
------------
Succeeded: 0
Failed: 1
------------
Total: 1
-bash-4.1# more security.sls
mypkgs-not:
     pkg.removed
     - net-snmp
     - httpd

-bash-4.1# more top.sls :
base:
   #'vuwunicopatch01.ods.vuw.ac.nz':
   #'*':
   vuwunicopatch02
     - security
     #- servers
     #- webservers
     #- users

  • Avi Marcus at Jun 30, 2014 at 2:30 am
    Looks like you are missing the quotes and colon on your target in top.sls,
    your commented example was '*':

    -Avi