On Sat, 28 Jun 2014 12:12:55 +0100 Alex Leonhardt wrote:

does anyone have an example that I could piggy back on :) ?
Otherwise, I think I'd ditch nagios and go for sensu - but - is it
possible for a formula to collect pillar data from various other
modules ?
Hi Alex,

not sure if I understand you correctly. You mean if it is possible for
a Minion to get pillar-data from another minion? No, at least it
shouldn't be, as the concept of pillars is that you can store secret
informations (like passwords) here. So no other minion than the minion
the pillar is set for should get those information.

You can use Grains instead. Other minions can get those data via
salt-mine then.

See http://docs.saltstack.com/en/latest/topics/mine/ for details on
salt-mine.

As an example, the snippet below will
write /etc/icinga/objects/$hostname_icinga.cfg for each active minion
using salt-mine grain informations:

{% for host, hostinfo in salt['mine.get']('*', 'grains.items').items()%}
{% if 'icinga' in hostinfo %}
/etc/icinga/objects/{{ host }}_icinga.cfg:
     file:
     - managed
     - backup: minion
     - source: salt://icinga/hosttemplate_icinga.cfg
     - template: jinja
     - context:
       ip: {{ hostinfo['ipv4'][1] }}
       host: {{ host }}
       icinga: {{ hostinfo['icinga'] }}
     - user: root
     - group: root
     - mode: 644
     - require:
       - pkg: icinga-install
{% endif %}
{% endfor %}

Regards.

Search Discussions

  • Arnold Bechtoldt at Jun 30, 2014 at 3:09 pm

    I know puppet quite well - so
    puppet would create / export resources for each check relative to the
    The way you do this in Salt is (so far) completly different which can be
    considered to be very dynamic and comfortable.

    i've had a quick look at the link but it's still not clear how i'd
    collect that data I'm afraid :\
    I give you an example how I will solve this issue.

    You have your minions having the information 'who is the monitoring
    server?', 'how am I classified: I am running a webserver (port:80), I am
    running some special processes, I have a htpasswd user john:pwd, etc.',
    'what do I need to tell the monitoring server I'm online and ready for
    monitoring?' and more stored in pillars or something similiar.

    I let Salt setup my hosts. Then I trigger for example a state.highstate
    run on the monitoring server which collects the
    (pillars|grains|whatever) from those hosts and generates the
    (nagios|check_mk|icinga|whatever) configuration files on the local system.

    The tool which is used to collect the (pillars|grains|whatever) items
    from the minions is the function 'publish' of the execution module
    'publish'.
    <http://docs.saltstack.com/en/latest/ref/modules/all/salt.modules.publish.html#salt.modules.publish.publish>

    My formula omd-formula (WIP) makes use of publish.publish on several places:

    *
    <https://github.com/bechtoldt/omd-formula/blob/master/omd/_user_cmkagent.sls#L36>
    (fetch monitoring's user ssh pubkey)
    *
    <https://github.com/bechtoldt/omd-formula/blob/master/omd/cmkagent.sls#L42>
    (tell the monitoring system to look for new monitoring checks)

    --
    Arnold Bechtoldt

    Karlsruhe, Germany