     the salt documentation lists GitPython as the sole pre-requisite to
enable Git support.

thanks,
Rohit

Salt version on master (CentOS release 6.5 ) :

                     Salt: 2014.1.5
                     Python: 2.7.7 (default, Jun 28 2014, 07:36:02)
                    Jinja2: 2.7.3
                    M2Crypto: 0.22
                    msgpack-python: 0.4.2
                    msgpack-pure: Not Installed
                    pycrypto: 2.6.1
                    PyYAML: 3.11
                   PyZMQ: 14.3.1
                   ZMQ: 4.0.4

I got the following error when running "salt-master -c <path to master
file>" even though GitPython was installed in the python virtual
environment:

     (SALTDEV)(SALTDEV)[ERROR ] Git fileserver backend is enabled in
configuration but could not be loaded, is GitPython installed?
     [ERROR ] Failed to load fileserver backends, the configured backends
are: git

On looking up the error source in .../fileserver/gitfs.py, I went ahead and
installed the missing gitdb module.

The startup error changed to :

      (SALTDEV)(SALTDEV)[ERROR ] Git fileserver backend is enabled in
master config file, but the GitPython version is earlier than 0.3.0.
Version 0.1.7 detected.

Had to end up reinstalling a specific version of GitPython for the fix :

     pip install GitPython==0.3.2.RC1

  • Vye at Jun 29, 2014 at 3:10 pm
    That version of GitPython that salt requires isn't marked as stable in pypi so you have to run pip install --pre GitPython to get the latest unstable or what you did by specifying a specific version.

    I think gitdb is an alternative to GitPython. Haven't checked the docs yet tho.

    --Vye
    Sent from my iPhone
[...]

    (SALTDEV)(SALTDEV)[ERROR ] Git fileserver backend is enabled in master config file, but the GitPython version is earlier than 0.3.0. Version 0.1.7 detected.

    Had to end up reinstalling a specific version of GitPython for the fix :

    pip install GitPython==0.3.2.RC1
  • Colton Myers at Jul 11, 2014 at 9:18 pm
    We currently support GitPython, Dulwich, and PyGit2 (though the last
    doesn't support authenticated clones yet)

    --
    Colton Myers