At my workplace we have a standard Vagrant setup where the Vagrantfile
defines a salt master and a configurable number of salt minions. Even with
plain old Virtualbox, provisioning a Vagrant machine is quick enough that
they can be treated as throwaway boxes to test new states on.

Vagrant supports using a shell script to 'provision' the box; our
provisioning script for the salt master clones our salt-states repository,
which has both the states and the pillar.