Hi, all -

I'm prototyping a large application which will eventually have multiple
open connections to MySQL and Neo4j data persist stores (aka databases). I
would also like to maintain the existing development/test/prod switch
behavior.

How can I configure this, or where would I start to patch?

  • Chrs Grgg at Dec 30, 2014 at 6:35 am
    If you want to have separate models for MySQL and Neo4j, look into the
    Neo4j gem, https://github.com/neo4jrb/neo4j. It provides
    ActiveRecord-like modules that let you build Neo4j models and work with
    the database easily. It has a great community and development on the gem
    is very active.

    If you want to make it easy for ActiveRecord models to pull from Neo4j,
    you can look into writing methods in your AR models that pull from Neo
    using Neo4j-core, https://github.com/neo4jrb/neo4j-core. It requires a
    lot more knowledge of the database, though, it's really just an API
    wrapper with some helper methods to make certain basic tasks easier.

    You can post on StackOverflow, open issues, or email any of the
    maintainers if you need a hand.

  • Don W. at Jan 7, 2015 at 1:35 pm
    Thanks, Chris, I appreciate the support.

    I've gotten further and now have the ActiveNode component from Neo4j
    installed. I'm still working on getting multiple RDBMS connections
    going, but I realized that what I can do is to have separate Rails
    installs on distinct VMs for the portions of the code that need to use
    distinct databases. I can use Ruby or C++ daemons to transfer data from
    one RDBMS to another, and I can mash together UI components as needed in
    the browser.