I posted a question on stackoverflow seeking help. I;ve been asking on the
ruby on rails IRC channel as well. I'm not sure how to fix this issue. I am
new to ruby on rails and I having a hard time getting postgres to work with
my rails app. When I run rake db:create or rake db:migrate, I get these
errors

could not connect to server: No such file or directory

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26376751/pgconnectionbad-could-not-connect-to-server-no-such-file-or-directory

  • Colin Law at Oct 15, 2014 at 7:55 am

    I posted a question on stackoverflow seeking help. I;ve been asking on the
    ruby on rails IRC channel as well. I'm not sure how to fix this issue. I am
    new to ruby on rails and I having a hard time getting postgres to work with
    my rails app. When I run rake db:create or rake db:migrate, I get these
    errors

    could not connect to server: No such file or directory

    Show us database.yml

    Can you access the pg server using, for example, psql?

    Colin

    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26376751/pgconnectionbad-could-not-connect-to-server-no-such-file-or-directory

  • Bradford li at Oct 15, 2014 at 8:01 am
    Here is my database.yml

    # PostgreSQL. Versions 8.2 and up are supported.
    #
    # Install the pg driver:
    # gem install pg
    # On OS X with Homebrew:
    # gem install pg -- --with-pg-config=/usr/local/bin/pg_config
    # On OS X with MacPorts:
    # gem install pg --
    --with-pg-config=/opt/local/lib/postgresql84/bin/pg_config
    # On Windows:
    # gem install pg
    # Choose the win32 build.
    # Install PostgreSQL and put its /bin directory on your path.
    #
    # Configure Using Gemfile
    # gem 'pg'
    #

    # host: localhost
    default: &default
       adapter: postgresql
       encoding: unicode
       # For details on connection pooling, see rails configuration guide
       # http://guides.rubyonrails.org/configuring.html#database-pooling
       pool: 5

    development:
       <<: *default
       database: JobPost_development

       # The specified database role being used to connect to postgres.
       # To create additional roles in postgres see `$ createuser --help`.
       # When left blank, postgres will use the default role. This is
       # the same name as the operating system user that initialized the
    database.
       #username: JobPost

       # The password associated with the postgres role (username).
       #password:

       # Connect on a TCP socket. Omitted by default since the client uses a
       # domain socket that doesn't need configuration. Windows does not have
       # domain sockets, so uncomment these lines.
       #host: localhost

       # The TCP port the server listens on. Defaults to 5432.
       # If your server runs on a different port number, change accordingly.
       #port: 5432

       # Schema search path. The server defaults to $user,public
       #schema_search_path: myapp,sharedapp,public

       # Minimum log levels, in increasing order:
       # debug5, debug4, debug3, debug2, debug1,
       # log, notice, warning, error, fatal, and panic
       # Defaults to warning.
       #min_messages: notice

    # Warning: The database defined as "test" will be erased and
    # re-generated from your development database when you run "rake".
    # Do not set this db to the same as development or production.
    test:
       <<: *default
       database: JobPost_test

    # As with config/secrets.yml, you never want to store sensitive information,
    # like your database password, in your source code. If your source code is
    # ever seen by anyone, they now have access to your database.
    #
    # Instead, provide the password as a unix environment variable when you boot
    # the app. Read
    http://guides.rubyonrails.org/configuring.html#configuring-a-database
    # for a full rundown on how to provide these environment variables in a
    # production deployment.
    #
    # On Heroku and other platform providers, you may have a full connection URL
    # available as an environment variable. For example:
    #
    # DATABASE_URL="postgres://myuser:mypass@localhost/somedatabase"
    #
    # You can use this database configuration with:
    #
    # production:
    # url: <%= ENV['DATABASE_URL'] %>
    #
    production:
       <<: *default
       database: JobPost_production
       username: JobPost
       password: <%= ENV['JOBPOST_DATABASE_PASSWORD'] %>

    when I run psql i get "psql: FATAL: database "bli1" does not exist"
    I posted a question on stackoverflow seeking help. I;ve been asking on the
    ruby on rails IRC channel as well. I'm not sure how to fix this issue. I am
    new to ruby on rails and I having a hard time getting postgres to work with
    my rails app. When I run rake db:create or rake db:migrate, I get these
    errors

    could not connect to server: No such file or directory

    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26376751/pgconnectionbad-could-not-connect-to-server-no-such-file-or-directory
  • Colin Law at Oct 15, 2014 at 9:14 am

[...]

    Why are you trying to open a database called bli1? What psql command
    are you using?

    Is this running on a local computer or on Heroku or similar?

    Colin