Hi,

I have written some controller methods and testing it using Rspec. I am
just learning the Rspec by testing those methods. I need some hints on
how to do it. I have the below method in my QueueItemsController and I
need to test it. So how do I proceed. Please help. I read the tutorials
and other online forums but it seems to be confusing at some point.

     def next
         @receiver = @queue.pop()
         unless @receiver.nil?
           respond_with(@receiver)
         else
           render :json =>{"msg"=>"No more Items in the Queue to
retrieve..!!"}
         end
       end

  • Frederick Cheung at Apr 30, 2014 at 6:42 am

    I have written some controller methods and testing it using Rspec. I am
    just learning the Rspec by testing those methods. I need some hints on
    how to do it. I have the below method in my QueueItemsController and I
    need to test it. So how do I proceed. Please help. I read the tutorials
    and other online forums but it seems to be confusing at some point.
    In a nutshell you think of the possible case, what the outcome should be
    and how do you want to test that the outcome was as expected.

    For example, one of those cases could be

    context 'the queue is empty' do
       before(:each) do
         #some setup so that @queue.pop will return nil
       end
       it 'should render a json message' # change this title to be something
    descriptive
         get :next #add params if applicable
         ActiveSupport::JSON.parse(response.body).should == {"msg"=>"No more
    Items in the Queue to
    retrieve..!!"}
       end
    end