I'm sending a string through a socket connection from a rails app to
another application. The string is delimited with 240.chr. On windows it
runs fine, on Linux, it seems to put in a different looking character in
for 240.chr. Is this some sort of encoding issue? Is there something simple
I am overlooking? Thanks, RVic.

     delim = 240.chr
     if userSelected.blank?
       userSelected = userSending
     end

s=row.to_s+delim+userSending+delim+userSelected+delim+message+delim+notes

  • Tamara Temple at Nov 8, 2013 at 2:16 am

    I'm sending a string through a socket connection from a rails app to another application. The string is delimited with 240.chr. On windows it runs fine, on Linux, it seems to put in a different looking character in for 240.chr. Is this some sort of encoding issue? Is there something simple I am overlooking? Thanks, RVic.

    delim = 240.chr
    if userSelected.blank?
    userSelected = userSending
    end
    s=row.to_s+delim+userSending+delim+userSelected+delim+message+delim+notes
    If you’re using 240.chr as a delimiter, what difference does it make what the Glyph looks like? The other side should just split on 240.chr.

  • R Vince at Nov 8, 2013 at 2:20 am
    I would think so, but the other side is a java socket listener app, and it
    isn't splitting on it in Linux, but is on Windows.

    I'm sending a string through a socket connection from a rails app to
    another application. The string is delimited with 240.chr. On windows it
    runs fine, on Linux, it seems to put in a different looking character in
    for 240.chr. Is this some sort of encoding issue? Is there something simple
    I am overlooking? Thanks, RVic.
    delim = 240.chr
    if userSelected.blank?
    userSelected = userSending
    end
    s=row.to_s+delim+userSending+delim+userSelected+delim+message+delim+notes

    If you’re using 240.chr as a delimiter, what difference does it make what
    the Glyph looks like? The other side should just split on 240.chr.

    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rubyonrails-talk/9722E365-1223-45B1-8D68-EFD878788444%40gmail.com
    .
  • Tamara Temple at Nov 8, 2013 at 2:33 am

    I would think so, but the other side is a java socket listener app, and it isn't splitting on it in Linux, but is on Windows.

    I'm sending a string through a socket connection from a rails app to another application. The string is delimited with 240.chr. On windows it runs fine, on Linux, it seems to put in a different looking character in for 240.chr. Is this some sort of encoding issue? Is there something simple I am overlooking? Thanks, RVic.

    delim = 240.chr
    if userSelected.blank?
    userSelected = userSending
    end
    s=row.to_s+delim+userSending+delim+userSelected+delim+message+delim+notes
    If you’re using 240.chr as a delimiter, what difference does it make what the Glyph looks like? The other side should just split on 240.chr.
    You need to be looking at the binary data stream to see what is being sent/received. Don’t look at the glyphs at all.

  • R Vince at Nov 8, 2013 at 2:38 am

    You need to be looking at the binary data stream to see what is being
    sent/received. Don’t look at the glyphs at all.

    -
    Yes, you;re right -- I need to open up the receiving end and see what it's
    drinking in. Thanks!