Hi,
I'm getting a undefined method `paginate' for #<Class:0x567eb98> even
though I have gem 'will_paginate' installed.
Inside the users_controller I have @users = User.paginate(page: params[:page
])
so I believe I set everything up to be correct.
Can you figure out why the method's undefined, despite installing the gem?

  • Colin Law at Oct 24, 2013 at 9:18 pm

    I'm getting a undefined method `paginate' for #<Class:0x567eb98> even though
    I have gem 'will_paginate' installed.
    Inside the users_controller I have @users = User.paginate(page:
    params[:page])
    so I believe I set everything up to be correct.
    Can you figure out why the method's undefined, despite installing the gem?
    Which version of Rails are you using? If Rails 2 have you referenced
    will_paginate in environment.rb, if rails 3 have you put it in your
    Gemfile and run bundle install?

    Colin

  • Tynamite at Oct 24, 2013 at 10:11 pm
    I'm using Rails 3 and I've ran bundle install and put it in my Gemfile.

    I'm getting a undefined method `paginate' for #<Class:0x567eb98> even though
    I have gem 'will_paginate' installed.
    Inside the users_controller I have @users = User.paginate(page:
    params[:page])
    so I believe I set everything up to be correct.
    Can you figure out why the method's undefined, despite installing the
    gem?

    Which version of Rails are you using? If Rails 2 have you referenced
    will_paginate in environment.rb, if rails 3 have you put it in your
    Gemfile and run bundle install?

    Colin

    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rubyonrails-talk/CAL%3D0gLsuuf8hyRuxsS58BfYg%3DHWaDu2V3DQ6k%2BLBSZFm8SMuDg%40mail.gmail.com
    .
  • Frederick Cheung at Oct 25, 2013 at 8:08 am

    I'm using Rails 3 and I've ran bundle install and put it in my Gemfile.
    And you restarted the app after doing this?

    Fred

    I'm getting a undefined method `paginate' for #<Class:0x567eb98> even though
    I have gem 'will_paginate' installed.
    Inside the users_controller I have @users = User.paginate(page:
    params[:page])
    so I believe I set everything up to be correct.
    Can you figure out why the method's undefined, despite installing the
    gem?

    Which version of Rails are you using? If Rails 2 have you referenced
    will_paginate in environment.rb, if rails 3 have you put it in your
    Gemfile and run bundle install?

    Colin

    .
    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rubyonrails-talk/CAL%3D0gLsuuf8hyRuxsS58BfYg%3DHWaDu2V3DQ6k%2BLBSZFm8SMuDg%40mail.gmail.com
    .
  • Colin Law at Oct 25, 2013 at 9:12 am

    I'm using Rails 3 and I've ran bundle install and put it in my Gemfile.
    Please don't top post, it makes it difficult to follow the thread.
    Insert your reply inline. Thanks.

    Hopefully you mean that you have put it in Gemfile and run bundle install :)
    What does it show for paginate in Gemfile.lock?

    Copy/paste the full error output here and the section of the
    controller file containing the line giving the problem. Give us a
    line number in the file so we can cross reference to the error.

    Colin
    I'm getting a undefined method `paginate' for #<Class:0x567eb98> even
    though
    I have gem 'will_paginate' installed.
    Inside the users_controller I have @users = User.paginate(page:
    params[:page])
    so I believe I set everything up to be correct.
    Can you figure out why the method's undefined, despite installing the
    gem?
    Which version of Rails are you using? If Rails 2 have you referenced
    will_paginate in environment.rb, if rails 3 have you put it in your
    Gemfile and run bundle install?
  • Desbest at Oct 25, 2013 at 3:45 pm

    I'm using Rails 3 and I've ran bundle install and put it in my Gemfile.
    Please don't top post, it makes it difficult to follow the thread.
    Insert your reply inline. Thanks.

    Hopefully you mean that you have put it in Gemfile and run bundle install
    :)
[...]

      Gemfile.lock says

    bootstrap-will_paginate (0.0.9)
         will_paginate

    will_paginate (3.0.4)

    under GEM
    and
    will_paginate (= 3.0.4)
    under dependencies.

    I restarted the app using rails server and it didn't work, but when I
    restarted my computer it started to work.
    Thanks for your help.

  • Kashif Umair Liaqat at Oct 27, 2013 at 4:16 am
    I am a little late in discussion but I've the solution to the problem :)

    If you are using rails 4 then try this.

    @users = User.all.paginate(page: params[:page]

    Note that User.all will be an ActiveRelation on which paginate method works.

    If you are using rails 3 then try this.

    @users = User.where('').paginate(page: params[:page])

    The reason to use an empty where is because where will return the
    ActiveRelation which is more efficient instead of loading an array using
    User.all.

    Note that User.all will return ActiveRelation in rails 4 and in rails 3 it
    will return an Array.