Hi,

   I'm using ruby 1.8.7 with rails app(2.3.11) and deployed the app with
apache server. My app performance is too slow so i configured the app
with new relic and could see the ruby has 2 instances. One is for
ruby(nobody) =201 MB and one more for ruby(root)= 73.9 MB. I killed the
processes but still can see the same. Please help me and say why 2
instances are running for ruby?.

  • Frederick Cheung at Sep 23, 2013 at 12:55 pm

    I'm using ruby 1.8.7 with rails app(2.3.11) and deployed the app with
    apache server. My app performance is too slow so i configured the app
    with new relic and could see the ruby has 2 instances. One is for
    ruby(nobody) =201 MB and one more for ruby(root)= 73.9 MB. I killed the
    processes but still can see the same. Please help me and say why 2
    instances are running for ruby?.

    It depends how you are running your app, but passenger for example has a
    separate spawner process responsible for starting new application instances.

    Fred

    PS: your app is using a version of rails which most likely allows remote
    code execution.

  • Rosy Catz at Sep 23, 2013 at 1:00 pm

    Frederick Cheung wrote in post #1122155:
    On Monday, September 23, 2013 1:12:00 PM UTC+1, Ruby-Forum.com User
    It depends how you are running your app, but passenger for example has a
    separate spawner process responsible for starting new application
    instances.

    Fred

    PS: your app is using a version of rails which most likely allows remote
    code execution.

    Please tell me in detail. I couldn't understand your point.

  • Frederick Cheung at Sep 23, 2013 at 3:33 pm

    On Monday, September 23, 2013 1:12:00 PM UTC+1, Ruby-Forum.com User
    It depends how you are running your app, but passenger for example has
    separate spawner process responsible for starting new application
    instances.

    Fred

    PS: your app is using a version of rails which most likely allows remote
    code execution.

    Please tell me in detail. I couldn't understand your point.
    Short version: assuming you are using passenger, that's just how it works.
    Long version
    http://www.modrails.com/documentation/Architectural%20overview.html

    Fred