In the rails documentation, it states that:

In Rails 3.0 and above, generators don't just look in the source root for
templates, they also search for templates in other paths. And one of them
is lib/templates. Since we want to customize
Rails::Generators::HelperGenerator, we can do that by simply making a
template copy inside lib/templates/rails/helper with the name helper.rb.

I'm trying to dig through the rails source code to see where this lookup
occurs. I've gotten this far.

In railties/lib/rails/generators/rails/helper/helper_generator.rb<https://github.com/rails/rails/blob/master/railties/lib/rails/generators/rails/helper/helper_generator.rb>,
the code

template 'helper.rb', File.join('app/helpers', class_path, "#{file_name}_helper.rb")

seems to be calling the super class' method (
railties/lib/rails/generators/named_base.rb<https://github.com/rails/rails/blob/master/railties/lib/rails/generators/named_base.rb>
):
       # Defines the template that would be used for the migration file.
       # The arguments include the source template file, the migration
filename etc.
       no_tasks do
         def template(source, *args, &block)
           inside_template do
             super
           end
         end
       end

This in turn inherits from name_base inherits from base, but the method
"template" doesnt seem to appear in that class.

Where can I find the code that does this lookup?