Hello all, FlannelBeard here.

I've got a project coming up for work that I think can use rails. I want to
impress my boss. It does require a database and it will need to process
credit card information.

*I am a front-end web developer. *I can tweak BASIC php, nothing major. I
know how to edit Jquery and a little Javascript. I do know Html5 and Css,
though. Php and other back-end languages prove...difficult for me.

My question, is that for a guy with my skill set, is it recommended to
learn Ruby on Rails where I am at, or do I NEED, again, NEED to know Php in
order to better grasp Rails?

If I dont need to know intermediate to advanced Php, and i can learn rails
right now, ill do it. Obviously I know it is advised to learn both. I get
that, but I have not had to use php much in my front end developments.
Would rails suffice, if I do not wish to learn php right this very moment?
is is easier to learn rails first and THEN go to php?

Im just a career driven web developer who wants to learn back-end
languages. As of now, theyre like alien languages to me, as for most
front-end developers. I want to break that barrier and become both. Any
tips for a beginner in back-end work? Sorry if my question
seems...pointless. But I need some guidance. I need some experts to let me
know what is what and to guide me to grow and learn.

Thanks, everyone. Sorry if I seem scattered. I tend to type out my thoughts
as they come to me. Over-explaining has been a bane of mine for ages.

-FlannelBeard

  • Frederick Cheung at Apr 23, 2013 at 8:52 am

    I've got a project coming up for work that I think can use rails. I want
    to impress my boss. It does require a database and it will need to process
    credit card information.

    *I am a front-end web developer. *I can tweak BASIC php, nothing major. I
    know how to edit Jquery and a little Javascript. I do know Html5 and Css,
    though. Php and other back-end languages prove...difficult for me.

    My question, is that for a guy with my skill set, is it recommended to
    learn Ruby on Rails where I am at, or do I NEED, again, NEED to know Php in
    order to better grasp Rails?

    I wouldn't say you need to know php to understand rails. It might even
    teach you bad habits, depending on what sort of php you do. Of course in
    general learning your first language/web framework will be more difficult
    than the second, so if you really got your head round rails then you might
    find php easier than if you dived straight into php, but then it's probably
    true the other way around too.

    Fred

[...]

  • Jordon Bedwell at Apr 23, 2013 at 9:39 am