I'm looking for some advice on contributing to Rails (and other large
projects).
I will provide a specific scenario.

Here is a pull request <https://github.com/rails/rails/pull/3329> that was
merged a year ago.

In the past month, three people have commented that this introduces another
issue under certain circumstances (you have an index on a field).

What do I do if I want to take a shot at working on this?

The file that was edited has had 10 commits since the pull request in
question was merged and currently looks a bit different than it did 10
commits ago.

Here are some specific questions:
I'm not sure I fully understand what the original issue was (why a pull
request was submitted in the first place). Therefore, if I wanted to set
up a Rails project that exhibited the issue that the pull request was
created to fix, how would I do that? In other words, how do I determine
which version of Rails contains the version of the autosave_associaton.rb
file as it was immediately before the pull request<https://github.com/rails/rails/pull/3329> was
merged? (Or can I install a specific version of Rails based on a Rails
Github repo commit?)

If I do end up implementing a fix for this in the current version (Rails
4.0), how can I also issue the same fix for a previous version of Rails
(3.2.x)?

Thanks.

  • Colin Law at Apr 7, 2013 at 7:47 am