I've been developing my rails app in Windows. The app connects to SQL
Server database using the sqladapter gem and through ODBC. I know that the
recommended platform for production would be Linux.

Whether its possible to deploy my app to Linux? If yes, how hard would that
be?

  • Joshua Shane Martin at Feb 25, 2013 at 1:31 am
    I don't know much about the sqladapter gem and how to get it working on
    Linux (what dependencies, libraries are needed, etc.), but I had a similar
    situation where I needed to store my data in an SQL Server backend. In my
    case, I used TorqueBox (a nice JBoss-based Rails server running on JRuby),
    which included the JDBC drivers for SQL Server (made using SQL Server
    super, super easy). By using JRuby (Java) instead of the native Ruby, it
    didn't matter which platform I used for development, staging, or
    production; my environment and dependencies were the same regardless of OS.

    As far as the actual deployment process, I would seriously consider using
    Capistrano; I would think it would be possible to use Capistrano on Windows
    with Cygwin or something similar to deploy to Linux.

    I've been developing my rails app in Windows. The app connects to SQL
    Server database using the sqladapter gem and through ODBC. I know that the
    recommended platform for production would be Linux.

    Whether its possible to deploy my app to Linux? If yes, how hard would
    that be?
  • Mark Nongkhlaw at Feb 25, 2013 at 8:49 am
    Thanks for the info, Josh, but I'm about halfway into my rails app. If I'm
    to switch over to JRuby, would that mean I have to start from scratch? BTW,
    I don't need to store anything into SQL Server. My rails app is just to
    retrieve the data from SQL Server and output the same in JSON with a REST
    interface.

    At the same time, I'd like to explore this TorqueBox/JRuby. Where do I
    start?

    On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 7:01 AM, Joshua Shane Martin