I am unable to install RoR on a VPS running RedHat Linux with 512 MB. When
I run "make" and "make install" I get the following output/error below.
What can I do to resolve this memory problem?

It appears I should have sufficient memory to install. I included the
results of "make" and "free" to show the failure as well as the available
memory.

Thanks in advance!

Andrejs

root@vps [~/ruby-1.9.3-p0]# make
CC = gcc
LD = ld
LDSHARED = gcc -shared
CFLAGS = -O3 -ggdb -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-parentheses
-Wno-long-long -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wpointer-arith
-Wwrite-strings -Wdeclaration-after-statement
-Werror-implicit-function-declaration
XCFLAGS = -include ruby/config.h -include ruby/missing.h
-fvisibility=hidden -DRUBY_EXPORT
CPPFLAGS = -I. -I.ext/include/x86_64-linux -I./include -I.
DLDFLAGS =
SOLIBS =
compiling parse.c

cc1: out of memory allocating 1904232 bytes after a total of 32403456 bytes
make: *** [parse.o] Error 1

root@vps [~/ruby-1.9.3-p0]# free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 524288 368436 155852 0 0 0
-/+ buffers/cache: 368436 155852
Swap: 0 0 0

  • Matt Jones at Feb 1, 2013 at 6:22 pm

[...]

    You'll definitely want to free up some RAM - 368M out of 512M used is going
    to seriously cramp the compilation process, especially without any swap.
    What else is running on the VPS that's eating up all that RAM?

    --Matt Jones

  • Andrejs Rozitis at Feb 9, 2013 at 4:22 pm
    The other process running on the VPS was the cPanel environment. This is a
    common domain management interface offered by many hosting providers.

    I was able to get around this issue simply by upgrading my account to a 768
    MB package. Although this did not solve the original question asked in this
    thread, it allowed me to move forward and get closer to releasing working
    software.

    So to all those out there trying to install Ruby on Rails in VPS
    environments, go straight for the 768 MB solution. That is unless you can
    figure out how to manage memory better. If you figure that out, please post
    here for others.