i'm newbie in rails. i have problem with how to connect rails with
database. before i can connect it with command
"rake db:create" to create database.
and "rake db:migrate" to migrate schema to database.

but, i want to connect rails with database that i have before, not
create it via rails. can you help me?

  • Jim Ruther Nill at Dec 13, 2012 at 2:57 am

    i'm newbie in rails. i have problem with how to connect rails with
    database. before i can connect it with command
    "rake db:create" to create database.
    and "rake db:migrate" to migrate schema to database.
    but, i want to connect rails with database that i have before, not
    create it via rails. can you help me?
    just setup your config/database.yml and that should work. however, when
    you want to collaborate with someone, you have to depend on schema.rb
    rather than migrations to create the database.

  • Mas Bejo at Dec 13, 2012 at 3:05 am
    i have been setup database.yml, with same name database that i want to
    use.
    but then what i should do?
    Should i to run "rails generate scaffold"?
    let say my command
    "rails generate scaffold members name:string email:string" to create
    schema??
    and then run "rake db:migrate"?

  • Mas Bejo at Dec 13, 2012 at 3:22 am
    i try open schema.rb, and i saw this code
    ActiveRecord::Schema.define(:version => 20121201063411) do

    create_table "anggota", :force => true do |t|
    t.string "nama"
    t.text "alamat"
    t.text "no_telp"
    t.datetime "waktu_daftar"
    t.datetime "created_at", :null => false
    t.datetime "updated_at", :null => false
    end

    create_table "bukus", :force => true do |t|
    t.string "isbn"
    t.string "judul"
    t.string "penulis"
    t.string "penerbit"
    t.string "kategori"
    t.integer "edisi"
    t.integer "jumlah"
    t.integer "jumlah_dipinjam"
    t.datetime "created_at", :null => false
    t.datetime "updated_at", :null => false
    end

    create_table "posts", :force => true do |t|
    t.string "name"
    t.string "title"
    t.text "content"
    t.datetime "created_at", :null => false
    t.datetime "updated_at", :null => false
    end

    end
  • Jim Ruther Nill at Dec 13, 2012 at 4:01 am

[...]

    it say create_table "name of table", but the problem is i have been have
    that table in my database, and i didn't want to change that table.
    first run rake db:schema:dump to generate your schema from the current
    database.
    Then if you want to run a scaffold (I've just tested this one, I don't
    actually use
    scaffold), use

    rails g scaffold <singular_table_name> --migration false

  • Mas Bejo at Dec 13, 2012 at 9:38 am
    i can't understand this command
    "rails g scaffold <singular_table_name> --migration false"

    can you describe it more?

  • Jim Ruther Nill at Dec 13, 2012 at 10:06 am