Hi. Working along a tutorial, I am trying to create a user for my
application, and save it to a User database table. However, when I try to
save the user (i.e. add a line to the User table) the Ruby console just
returns false, with no explanation. Using *create *instead of *save *does
the same. I have tried deleting the database and doing the migration again,
but got the same result. How can I obtain more diagnostic on why the save
to database is failing?

Here a transcript from the console:

irb(main):001:0> user= User.new screen_name: "ginopino", real_name: "Gino
Pilotino", password: "foobar", password_confirmation: "foobar"
=> #<User id: nil, screen_name: "ginopino", real_name: "Gino Pilotino",
created_at: nil, updated_at: nil, password_digest:
"$2a$10$T.cnOdhdXPyBt/iQPLGJXuWN62F8FoPgkX9UbXyEWqCh...">
irb(main):002:0> *user.save*
←[1m←[36m (0.0ms)←[0m ←[1mbegin transaction←[0m
←[1m←[35m (0.0ms)←[0m rollback transaction
=> *false*
irb(main):004:0>

  • Craig White at Dec 7, 2012 at 4:07 pm

[...]

    ----
    these commands might be useful in the console…

    user.errors
    user.valid?

    check log/development.log

    Craig

  • Fanta at Dec 7, 2012 at 4:17 pm
    Thank you Craig, that resolved it.
    user.errors reminded me that I had imposed a constraint on the password
    length, and my password did not respect it.