NOOB ALERT

Now I warned you, here's the problem that's been getting me mad for hours

I've got a model for content I'm calling "lead". It has a title, a text and
an image used as a background.

I'm not using paperclip or CarrierWave to handle the image file (and I
don't want to, one of my needs here is to learn how this all works).
I'm using this function to upload the file (it comes directly from the
rails guides) :

def upload
if params[:lead][:illustration]
uploaded_io = params[:lead][:illustration]

File.open(Rails.root.join('app', 'assets', 'images',
uploaded_io.original_filename), 'wb') do |file|
file.write(uploaded_io.read)
end

@lead.illustration = "#{uploaded_io.original_filename}"
end
end

When creating a "lead", everything goes fine with create:

def create
@lead = Lead.new( params[:lead] )

upload

if @lead.save
flash[:success] = "Lead successfully added."
redirect_to @lead
else
redirect_to root_path
end
end

The "lead" gets saved, I can use it. So far, so good.

Now with the problem (remember the NOOB ALERT).
Updating a lead without modifying the image goes fine, but updating with a
new image returns this error:

NoMethodError in LeadsController#update

undefined method `name' for nil:NilClass

and

app/controllers/leads_controller.rb:45:in `update'

Here's my update function:

def update
@lead = Lead.find_by_id( params[:id] )

upload

if @lead.update_attributes!(params[:lead])
flash[:success] = "Leaderboard successfully updated."
redirect_to @lead
else
render action: "edit"
end
end

Basically the same as create. I've been googling and going back and forth
for hours and I didn't get to solve this. Any help would be more than
welcome.

  • Colin Law at Dec 6, 2012 at 10:06 am

[...]

    The error says that you are calling method 'name' for something that
    is nil at line 45 in leads_controller.rb.

    Here's my update function:

    def update
    @lead = Lead.find_by_id( params[:id] )

    upload

    if @lead.update_attributes!(params[:lead])
    flash[:success] = "Leaderboard successfully updated."
    redirect_to @lead
    else
    render action: "edit"
    end
    end

    Basically the same as create. I've been googling and going back and forth
    for hours and I didn't get to solve this. Any help would be more than
    welcome.
    Unfortunately you have not told us which is line 45.

    Colin

  • Jean-David at Dec 6, 2012 at 10:16 am
    I supposed it was obvious... ; )

    Seriously, line 45 is in the update function:

    40 def update
    41 @lead = Lead.find_by_id( params[:id] )
    42
    43 upload
    44
    45 if @lead.update_attributes!(params[:lead])
    46 flash[:success] = "Leaderboard successfully updated."
    47 redirect_to @lead
    48 else
    49 render action: "edit"
    50 end