please help me in this... I am unable to install pg gem file

[root@vdimc04 ~]# gem install pg -v '0.12.0'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.9.1/yaml.rb:56:in `<top (required)>':
It seems your ruby installation is missing psych (for YAML output).
To eliminate this warning, please install libyaml and reinstall your ruby.
Fetching: rake-compiler-0.8.1.gem (100%)
Fetching: pg-0.12.0.gem (100%)
ERROR: Error installing pg:

/usr/local/bin/ruby extconf.rb
checking for pg_config... no
No pg_config... trying anyway. If building fails, please try again with
--with-pg-config=/path/to/pg_config
checking for libpq-fe.h... no
Can't find the 'libpq-fe.h header
*** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
details. You may need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:
--with-opt-dir
--without-opt-dir
--with-opt-include
--without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
--with-opt-lib
--without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
--with-make-prog
--without-make-prog
--srcdir=.
--curdir
--ruby=/usr/local/bin/ruby
--with-pg
--without-pg
--with-pg-dir
--without-pg-dir
--with-pg-include
--without-pg-include=${pg-dir}/include
--with-pg-lib
--without-pg-lib=${pg-dir}/lib
--with-pg-config
--without-pg-config
--with-pg_config
--without-pg_config

Gem files will remain installed in
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/pg-0.12.0 for inspection.
Results logged to
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/pg-0.12.0/ext/gem_make.out

  • Jordon Bedwell at Dec 5, 2012 at 12:14 am
    Install postgresql-libs and also recompile your Ruby after install libyaml.

    On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 6:50 AM, PavanKumar Chamarthi
[...]

  • Jeffrey Jones at Dec 5, 2012 at 1:12 am
    You will need to install libyaml-devel from the epel repositories (which
    you will also need to add).
[...]

  • James Byrne at Dec 5, 2012 at 8:59 pm

    PavanKumar Chamarthi wrote in post #1087845:
    please help me in this... I am unable to install pg gem file

    [root@vdimc04 ~]# gem install pg -v '0.12.0'
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.9.1/yaml.rb:56:in `<top (required)>':
    It seems your ruby installation is missing psych (for YAML output).
    To eliminate this warning, please install libyaml and reinstall your
    ruby.
    Fetching: rake-compiler-0.8.1.gem (100%)
    Fetching: pg-0.12.0.gem (100%)
    ERROR: Error installing pg:

    /usr/local/bin/ruby extconf.rb
    checking for pg_config... no
    No pg_config... trying anyway. If building fails, please try again with
    --with-pg-config=/path/to/pg_config
    checking for libpq-fe.h... no
    Can't find the 'libpq-fe.h header
    *** extconf.rb failed ***
    It is in your own interest to provide more detail respecting your
    installation when reporting a problem and asking for help. For example,
    are you running CentOS-6 or 5? What point release? Are you using the
    stock PostgreSQl install, have you installed a different version from
    another respoitory, or have you built PostgreSQl yourself? In any case
    what version of Postgres?

    Providing that you are running CentOS-6.x; and assuming that you are
    evidently not using the Postgres provided with that distribution; and
    guessing that you are likely using the pgdg-91-centos.repo; and also
    guessing that you are using either rvm or rbenv then you likely need to
    do something akin to the following

    yum install postgresql91-devel libyaml
    gem install pg --with-pg-config=/usr/pgsql-9.1/bin/pg_config

    HTH