Heroku seems to have pretty much become the standard for Rails apps just
starting out. Any time anyone asks which is the best host, the answer
always seems to be Heroku.

But, correct me if I'm wrong, Heroku does not include email accounts
with their service?

Most 'traditional' shared hosts also let you set up email accounts for
your domain, but I don't see anything like that on Heroku. Their plan is
basically for just hosting your site. I also need email accounts.

Is there a solution for this for Heroku? I imagine if there is, it's not
free, or involves hosting emails elsewhere.

If not, then what is the best cheap host (this is just a portfolio site,
no heavy traffic) that INCLUDES email accounts as well?

Thanks

  • Norbert Melzer at Nov 26, 2012 at 4:57 am
    don't use heroku, but at least in Germany there are virtual root servers
    with full DNS control and integrated mail servers for less than 15 USD (10
    Eur) a month.

    They are also powerful enough to run a few rack apps.
    Heroku seems to have pretty much become the standard for Rails apps just
    starting out. Any time anyone asks which is the best host, the answer
    always seems to be Heroku.

    But, correct me if I'm wrong, Heroku does not include email accounts
    with their service?

    Most 'traditional' shared hosts also let you set up email accounts for
    your domain, but I don't see anything like that on Heroku. Their plan is
    basically for just hosting your site. I also need email accounts.

    Is there a solution for this for Heroku? I imagine if there is, it's not
    free, or involves hosting emails elsewhere.

    If not, then what is the best cheap host (this is just a portfolio site,
    no heavy traffic) that INCLUDES email accounts as well?

    Thanks

  • Jordon Bedwell at Nov 26, 2012 at 2:59 pm