I am having an issue where the global variable, $r, which i declared in
the controller is being overwritten by my code which is in a view:

<%= link_to 'Picks test1', game_pick_page_path, :onclick => $r = 1 %>
<%= link_to 'Picks test2', game_pick_page_path, :onclick => $r = 2 %>

The first $r = 1 is overwritten by $r = 2 making the value 2 even if i
click picks test1. i want it to just set $r to which every value is
associated with the link the user clicks.

Any ideas on how to make this happen would be greatly appreciated.

  • Frederick Cheung at Nov 18, 2012 at 8:48 am

    I am having an issue where the global variable, $r, which i declared in
    the controller is being overwritten by my code which is in a view:

    <%= link_to 'Picks test1', game_pick_page_path, :onclick => $r = 1 %>
    <%= link_to 'Picks test2', game_pick_page_path, :onclick => $r = 2 %>

    The first $r = 1 is overwritten by $r = 2 making the value 2 even if i
    click picks test1. i want it to just set $r to which every value is
    associated with the link the user clicks.
    I'm not sure what you trying to do. If you don't want the global to be
    changed, why are you assigning to it? Legitimate uses are few and far
    between, I'm sure an alternative can be suggested if you can clarify
    your intent.

    Fred.
    Any ideas on how to make this happen would be greatly appreciated.

  • Robert Negronida at Nov 18, 2012 at 9:04 am
    When the user clicks the 'picks1' link I want $r to be equal to 1. when
    the user clicks 'picks2' i wont $r to be equal to 2. At this moment with
    the code i have presented earlier i constantly get $r equal to 2 whether
    i click the second link or not. What is happening is that the code is
    being read over and actually changing $r instead of just doing so when
    the user clicks the links with the onclick. I need to figure a way to
    change the $r so that it will change based on the link the user
    clicks... i already had it set up with a model and it worked but i soon
    realized that the amount of data entries was not ideal.

  • Frederick Cheung at Nov 18, 2012 at 12:52 pm

    When the user clicks the 'picks1' link I want $r to be equal to 1. when
    the user clicks 'picks2' i wont $r to be equal to 2. At this moment with
    the code i have presented earlier i constantly get $r equal to 2 whether
    i click the second link or not. What is happening is that the code is
    being read over and actually changing $r instead of just doing so when
    the user clicks the links with the onclick. I need to figure a way to
    change the $r so that it will change based on the link the user
    clicks... i already had it set up with a model and it worked but i soon
    realized that the amount of data entries was not ideal.
    Sounds like you want to add this as a parameter to the action, for
    example game_pick_page_path(:test => 1) which will cause params[:test]
    to be set to 1. If you want to remember the value without storing it
    in the database, use the session (set session[:foo]) rather than a
    global - a global would share its value across all users of the site
    and won't work consistently if you have more than 1 passenger/unicorns
    instance

    Fred
  • Robert Negronida at Nov 18, 2012 at 7:03 pm

    Sounds like you want to add this as a parameter to the action, for
    example game_pick_page_path(:test => 1) which will cause params[:test]
    to be set to 1. If you want to remember the value without storing it
    in the database, use the session (set session[:foo]) rather than a
    global - a global would share its value across all users of the site
    and won't work consistently if you have more than 1 passenger/unicorns
    instance

    Fred
    That makes alot of sense... but how do i use the (set session[:foo]).
    How do i define it in the controller and view?

  • Scott Ribe at Nov 18, 2012 at 7:19 pm

    That makes alot of sense... but how do i use the (set session[:foo]).
    How do i define it in the controller and view?
    session[:foo] = ...

    --
    Scott Ribe
    scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com