I already have a project with multiple subdomains under development
( Rails 3.2.8 , MySQL, Haml , Devise , Cancan )

www.myproject.com is the main site
many subdomains will be created : sub1.myproject.com,
sub2.myproject.com, sub3.myproject.com, ...

We need now to add CMS functionalities to the main domain and to each
subdomain, ( different layouts , different sets of pages )

What could be currently the best CMS engine choice ? ( at least the
most adapted to this goal..)
Radiant , Alchemy Refinery or even Locomotive ( with this one, I know
we should switch to Mongoid ORM, but why not ..) or any other
one ...

thanks for feedback

  • Erwin at Oct 17, 2012 at 6:27 am
    Seems that Alchemy CMS engine mounted at subdomain level could do the
    job... it's a pure "content" management app... managing only content
    will test it
    I already have a project with multiple subdomains under development
    ( Rails 3.2.8 , MySQL,  Haml , Devise , Cancan )

    www.myproject.com is the main site
    many subdomains will be created   :  sub1.myproject.com,
    sub2.myproject.com,  sub3.myproject.com, ...

    We need now to add CMS functionalities to the main domain and to each
    subdomain, ( different layouts , different sets of pages )

    What could be currently  the best CMS engine choice ? ( at least the
    most adapted to this goal..)
    Radiant , Alchemy Refinery or even Locomotive ( with this one, I know
    we should switch to Mongoid ORM, but why not ..) or any other
    one ...

    thanks for feedback
  • masta Blasta at Oct 17, 2012 at 2:34 pm

    Kad Kerforn wrote in post #1080098:
    I already have a project with multiple subdomains under development
    ( Rails 3.2.8 , MySQL, Haml , Devise , Cancan )

    www.myproject.com is the main site
    many subdomains will be created : sub1.myproject.com,
    sub2.myproject.com, sub3.myproject.com, ...

    We need now to add CMS functionalities to the main domain and to each
    subdomain, ( different layouts , different sets of pages )

    What could be currently the best CMS engine choice ? ( at least the
    most adapted to this goal..)
    Radiant , Alchemy Refinery or even Locomotive ( with this one, I know
    we should switch to Mongoid ORM, but why not ..) or any other
    one ...

    thanks for feedback
    I've just started building a site with BrowserCMS. It's fairly well
    featured, and allows for easy integration of outside controllers and
    models. Documentation is good - not great - however the developers are
    really responsive in the google group.
    here is the project: https://github.com/browsermedia/browsercms
    One thing about browserCMS is that it uses it's own authentication
    methods so you might have issues using Devise.

    I also tried locomotive but i found it lacking in features and
    documentation. Also the switch to mongoid has a learning curve to it if
    you're not already familiar. Locomotive has potential, but it is still
    early in development. https://github.com/locomotivecms

  • Erwin at Oct 18, 2012 at 11:17 am
    Thanks for your feedback..

    I also looked into Locomotive, good ( I know Mongoid) but the project
    needs MySQL...
    After looking at other existing Rails CMS : Alchemy, Radiant,
    Refinery, Comfortable Mexican Sofa ( C.M.S. !) and also browserCMS, my
    feeling is that none of them are actually true good engines for our
    project .. rather than describing what I mean by that , better giving
    an example of a good one : "forem" ( https://github.com/radar/forem )

    'forem' brings a complete forum app as an engine to our existing rails
    web apps:
    - can be mounted at root or subdomain level,
    - reuse our Devise authentication module, forem initialize with the
    declared 'user' class, and 'current_user' helper
    - forem internal authorization is based on CanCan, and permissions
    can be superseded within the declared 'user' class

    said that, we are currently looking into Alchemy code ( good 'content'
    management ) to see how we could adapt it (to the 'forem' way)
    regarding authentication and authorization ( I know that the new
    Refinery aims at using authentication/authorization engines.... but
    Refinery cannot be mounted at subdomain level which is mandatory in
    our project

    thanks again

[...]

  • GBH at Oct 20, 2012 at 9:03 pm
    Hey Erwin

    - ComfortableMexicanSofa is mounted as a catch-all on the root path as a
    default. I'll make it mountable soon, but it works just the same right now.
    - There's concept of 'sites' so you can serve completely different content
    based on the subdomain. But technically it can take care of everything that
    doesn't hit your application routes.
    - Comes with simple httpauth that you can replace with Devise or whatever
    else you want. See wiki for example.
    - Doesn't have user permissions though (it has no concept of users). This
    is something that is possible to hack in as part of the authorization.

    Let me know if you have any questions. I might be able to help.

    Oleg
[...]

  • Erwin at Oct 21, 2012 at 2:32 pm
    Hi Oleg , I am working on it right now ... I like it being Rails-
    minded, so easier to hack , I also like it because it doesn't have any
    concept of users...

    I ma trying to move the 'cms-admin' module into my backoffice as a
[...]

  • Erwin at Oct 21, 2012 at 2:36 pm
    been cut off..
    I am trying to move the 'cms-admin' part into my backoffice as a lib
    module and using the cms-content for site rendering...
    I have an issue using the Cms::Site model , it works at app level
    ( getting Cms::Site.all = [] in the console
    but when called from the backoffice named space, :
    LoadError (Expected /Users/..../app/models/cms/site.rb to define
    Site):

    see my post https://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk/browse_thread/thread/80b8f8033e6b1474?hl=fr

[...]

  • Oleg at Oct 22, 2012 at 3:09 pm
    Something is not loading right. When rails loads models it assumes that
    the folder that is nesting them is a namespace. So /app/models/foo/bar
    can define Foo::Bar
    If you're manually moving things around try making model look like this:

    module Cms
    class Site

    instead of current

    class Cms::Site
[...]

  • Erwin at Oct 22, 2012 at 9:08 pm
    Thanks.. I'll test it
    in parallel I am also testing the standard 'cms-admin' ( adapting my
    backoffice admin to cms-admin) vs including the cms-admin module into
    my backoffice, as my current concern is to stick to my backoffice
    design ( layout/css) being used for additional features

[...]

  • Erwin at Oct 23, 2012 at 7:57 am
    My issue seems to be related to Rails railties :
    action_controller/metal/params_wrapper.rb#_default_wrap_model

    quoted :
    # Determine the wrapper model from the controller's name. By convention,
    # this could be done by trying to find the defined model that has the
    # same singularize name as the controller. For example,
    +UsersController+
    # will try to find if the +User+ model exists.
    #
    # This method also does namespace lookup. Foo::Bar::UsersController
    will
    # try to find Foo::Bar::User, Foo::User and finally User.

    So, I ma trying to access Cms::Site model from my own admin
    controller: Backoffice::CmsAdmin::SitesController
    Then it's looking for Backoffice::CmsAdmin::Sites, CmsAdmin::Sites,
    Sites

    but even if I use the controller Cms
    namespace, Backoffice::Cms::SitesController
    and the model defined : class Cms::Site < ActiveRecord::Base ( I
    also tried module Cms and class Site )
    I get the same error :
    LoadError in Backoffice::Cms::SitesController#index

    .../app/models/cms/site.rb to define Site

    weird .. in the console Cms::Site.all gives [] , so the model is
    correctly loaded...

[...]

  • Erwin at Oct 23, 2012 at 9:43 am
    [SOLVED] I guess..
    It seems I had a wrong route in my cms_admin namespace

    namespace :cms_admin, :except => :show do
    match '/', to: 'base#jump'
    resources :sites do
    is the correct one...

    but I tried to bypass the base controller and I wrote
    namespace :cms_admin, :except => :show do
    match '/', to: 'sites#index'
    resources :sites do

    this raised the error : asking for Site being defined ....

[...]

  • Jay Damodaran at Oct 23, 2012 at 6:54 am
    Functionality wise, I've had really easy time integrating these CMS
    libraries.

    https://www.filepicker.io/products/libraries/

    Let's you grab content through urls.