Can anyone tell me the current state of Rails and threading? Do you need a
bunch of mongrel processes running on a single machine or is it possible to
get away with just one that handles concurrent requests? I did a bunch of
Google searches and couldn't find a definitive answer on the current
request model used by Rails.

  • Frederick Cheung at Oct 5, 2012 at 9:29 am
    Rails can do either (config.thread_safe! turns on multithreading, and will
    be the default in rails 4), but the deciding factor is what ruby
    implementation you use: MRI doesn't allow true concurrency in general
    (specific cases like blocking on IO, waiting for a mysql query do permit
    some concurrency). jruby doesn't have this problem and rubinius has also
    done away with the global vm lock.

    Fred