A few years ago, I heard a lot of good things about Ruby on Rails, but I
haven't got opportunity or time to learn about RoR. I am starting a side
project, therefore I am looking at using RoR. I came across a few articles
that raise concern for me regarding the performance of RoR.

First, Twitter move away from using RoR (
http://techcrunch.com/2008/05/01/twitter-said-to-be-abandoning-ruby-on-rails/
)
Second, LinkedIn move from RoR to Node.js (
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/10/a-behind-the-scenes-look-at-linkedins-mobile-engineering/
)

I can regard the fact that Twitter move away from RoR as perhaps not
related to RoR (the performance gain that Twitter reported may be because
they changed several things at once, therefore it is hard to say where the
performance gain comes from). However, for LinkedIn, the performance gain
seems directly related to RoR. Is the code base done with RoR really hard
to maintain?

What do you (the RoR community) think about this?

Should I use RoR if performance is a concern? Is RoR single-threaded?

Thanks

  • Peter Hickman at Oct 5, 2012 at 9:41 am
    When you get to the size of Twitter or LinkedIn then worry about it.
    Ambition is a good thing but don't let it get in the way of getting
    things done.

  • Brett McHargue at Oct 6, 2012 at 12:37 am
    Yes, what is good for goose is not necessarilly good for a very large
    gander... or something like that. The important thing when starting
    out is just shipping it - and it's a lot easier to do that with RoR.

    Brett

    On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 10:41 AM, Peter Hickman
    When you get to the size of Twitter or LinkedIn then worry about it.
    Ambition is a good thing but don't let it get in the way of getting
    things done.

  • Khai Doan at Oct 17, 2012 at 5:29 am
    I will keep this in mind. Thank you both for your reply.