Hi all can we send mails with out using SMTP settings. i want to send mails
with out smtp is it possible?

Thanks in advance

  • KUL KING at Sep 24, 2012 at 1:09 pm
    No it is not possible.
    On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 6:08 PM, honey ruby wrote:

    Hi all can we send mails with out using SMTP settings. i want to send
    mails with out smtp is it possible?

    Thanks in advance

  • Fabian Becker at Sep 24, 2012 at 1:11 pm
    Yes it is:
    http://raflabs.com/blogs/silence-is-foo/2011/02/07/configuring-rails-3s-actionmailer-work-sendmail-debian/

    Hi all can we send mails with out using SMTP settings. i want to send
    mails with out smtp is it possible?

    Thanks in advance

  • KUL KING at Sep 24, 2012 at 1:14 pm
    Doesn't SendMail use SMTP?
    Hi all can we send mails with out using SMTP settings. i want to send
    mails with out smtp is it possible?

    Thanks in advance

  • Walter Lee Davis at Sep 24, 2012 at 1:49 pm

    Technically, all outgoing mail is handled by SMTP. That's just the mail sending protocol. The issue here is whether that SMTP server is localhost (sendmail or another drop-in replacement for that service, running on the same machine as Rails) or remote (Gmail or somebody's Exchange server or just sendmail configured as a relay on another machine). Rails lets you configure this in any number of different ways. Read the Rails Guide for ActionMailer for more juicy details.

    Walter
    Hi all can we send mails with out using SMTP settings. i want to send mails with out smtp is it possible?

    Thanks in advance

  • KUL KING at Sep 24, 2012 at 1:57 pm
    So I was right that we have to use SMTP to send email. Whether it is from
    localhost or gmail. Am I right?
    Technically, all outgoing mail is handled by SMTP. That's just the mail
    sending protocol. The issue here is whether that SMTP server is localhost
    (sendmail or another drop-in replacement for that service, running on the
    same machine as Rails) or remote (Gmail or somebody's Exchange server or
    just sendmail configured as a relay on another machine). Rails lets you
    configure this in any number of different ways. Read the Rails Guide for
    ActionMailer for more juicy details.

    Walter
    On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 6:11 PM, Fabian Becker <
    Hi all can we send mails with out using SMTP settings. i want to send
    mails with out smtp is it possible?
    Thanks in advance

  • Walter Lee Davis at Sep 24, 2012 at 2:13 pm

    So I was right that we have to use SMTP to send email. Whether it is from localhost or gmail. Am I right?
    Yes, that acronym stands for Simple Mail Transport Protocol. It's one of the oldest protocols on the Internet -- precedes the Web by tens of years, IIRC. It's how all outgoing mail is sent from one server to another. You may pick up your mail through different protocols (POP3, IMAP) but you always send by SMTP.

    Rails documentation and API separate sendmail from smtp -- there's a separate :sendmail_settings and :smtp_settings, but you need to understand that they are not mutually exclusive. All outgoing mail is sent through SMTP (the protocol) and the settings in :smtp_settings may specify that sendmail is to be used as the outgoing mail server, in which case you can fine-tune that interface with the :sendmail_settings parameters.

    Walter
    Technically, all outgoing mail is handled by SMTP. That's just the mail sending protocol. The issue here is whether that SMTP server is localhost (sendmail or another drop-in replacement for that service, running on the same machine as Rails) or remote (Gmail or somebody's Exchange server or just sendmail configured as a relay on another machine). Rails lets you configure this in any number of different ways. Read the Rails Guide for ActionMailer for more juicy details.

    Walter
    Hi all can we send mails with out using SMTP settings. i want to send mails with out smtp is it possible?

    Thanks in advance

  • Tim Slattery at Sep 24, 2012 at 4:24 pm

    KUL KING wrote:
    So I was right that we have to use SMTP to send email. Whether it is from
    localhost or gmail. Am I right?
    SMTP = Simple Mail Transfer Protocol. That's the language you use to
    talk to another computer to send mail. Usually, you talk to a server
    whose job is to take mail from you and send it on to its destination.
    If it can't contact the destination machine the first time it tries,
    it will wait a while and try again. It won't give up until a few
    iterations of this.

    You can bypass that and have your program directly contact the
    destination machine. In that case, you have to parse the address to
    get the domain name, look up the MX record in the DNS for that domain
    (not the normal A record), then establish contact with the remote
    machine, etc. Using an SMTP relay server is much simpler.

    --
    Tim Slattery
    slattery_t@bls.gov

  • KUL KING at Sep 24, 2012 at 5:43 pm
    That's great. I didn't know about how SMTP works. Thanks for your
    demonstration :)