Hi, I'm a new RoR and Ruby developer and I'm searching for some good
resources (books or website) that go a little further than books like
the railstutorial (which is excellent btw).

But after reading this, I feel like as long as I'm working with
scaffolding and simple gems, it's ok, and a lot can be accomplished with
this but I would like to have a deeper understanding of Rails behavior
and not being lost in the magic.

  • Everaldo Gomes at Sep 20, 2012 at 8:21 pm
    I recommend these two:

    http://www.amazon.com/Crafting-Rails-Applications-Development-Programmers/dp/1934356735/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348172437&sr=8-1&keywords=crafting+rails+applications

    http://www.amazon.com/Rails-Edition-Addison-Wesley-Professional-Series/dp/0321601661/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1348172437&sr=8-2&keywords=crafting+rails+applications
    Hi, I'm a new RoR and Ruby developer and I'm searching for some good
    resources (books or website) that go a little further than books like
    the railstutorial (which is excellent btw).

    But after reading this, I feel like as long as I'm working with
    scaffolding and simple gems, it's ok, and a lot can be accomplished with
    this but I would like to have a deeper understanding of Rails behavior
    and not being lost in the magic.

  • Fernando Almeida at Sep 20, 2012 at 9:31 pm
    Metaprogramming
    Ruby<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1934356476/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=fernandoanet-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1934356476>

    Hi, I'm a new RoR and Ruby developer and I'm searching for some good
    resources (books or website) that go a little further than books like
    the railstutorial (which is excellent btw).

    But after reading this, I feel like as long as I'm working with
    scaffolding and simple gems, it's ok, and a lot can be accomplished with
    this but I would like to have a deeper understanding of Rails behavior
    and not being lost in the magic.

    Fernando Almeida
    www.fernandoalmeida.net

  • Maciej Rząsa at Jan 10, 2013 at 1:25 pm
    Do you think it's still reasonable to buy those books, knowing that RoR4
    will be released soon? I'm especially interested in Crafting Rails
    Applications, but I don't want to buy something that will be obsolete in a
    couple of months.

    El jueves, 20 de septiembre de 2012 23:32:11 UTC+2, Fernando Almeida
    Hi, I'm a new RoR and Ruby developer and I'm searching for some good
    resources (books or website) that go a little further than books like
    the railstutorial (which is excellent btw).

    But after reading this, I feel like as long as I'm working with
    scaffolding and simple gems, it's ok, and a lot can be accomplished with
    this but I would like to have a deeper understanding of Rails behavior
    and not being lost in the magic.

    Fernando Almeida
    www.fernandoalmeida.net
  • Norbert Melzer at Jan 10, 2013 at 2:07 pm
    Do you think it's still reasonable to buy those books, knowing that RoR4
    will be released soon? I'm especially interested in Crafting Rails
    Applications, but I don't want to buy something that will be obsolete in a
    couple of months.

    Why did you buy a PC?
  • Maciej Rząsa at Jan 10, 2013 at 2:50 pm
    @Norbert Thanks for the constructive answer! I'm glad you noticed that
    there is no difference between using two-year-old PC and two-year-outdated
    web framework!

    More seriously: changes between RoR2 and RoR3 were quite significant, so
    buying a book about RoR2 internals to use it with Rails3 was rather a bad
    idea. I'm trying to learn if it's the same in this case.

    Do you think it's still reasonable to buy those books, knowing that RoR4
    will be released soon? I'm especially interested in Crafting Rails
    Applications, but I don't want to buy something that will be obsolete in a
    couple of months.

    Why did you buy a PC?

  • Jim Ruther Nill at Jan 10, 2013 at 3:34 pm

    there is no difference between using two-year-old PC and two-year-outdated
    web framework!

    More seriously: changes between RoR2 and RoR3 were quite significant, so
    buying a book about RoR2 internals to use it with Rails3 was rather a bad
    idea. I'm trying to learn if it's the same in this case.
    I suggest you weigh at the pros and cons. If you can wait for a couple of
    months for the release of rails 4
    and another or 2 for a good book, then I'd say wait. But in those months,
    you could've already acquired a
    good deal of knowledge when you buy a rails 3 book. There are some new
    stuff going out in rails 4 like
    turbolinks, doll caching and strong parameters, all of which are kind of an
    upgrade to the version that rails
    3 is using so you might want to look at how those work at the moment while
    waiting for rails 4.