I have an old rails project that is currently in Rails 2.3

I'm about to undertake updating the project to Rails 3.2.

The old project's production server is on mysql 5.0 and has a medium
size database (not huge, but certainly big enough that I need to keep
the data after I upgrade the app).

If I do a modern deployment of Rails 3.2 (apache and latest stable mysql
on latest suse linux) I'm wondering if I will be able to just copy the
db over from the old server, or if there will be a need for some sort of
a migration?

Any info on what I'm up against there will be much appreciated.


Thanks!

--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ruby on Rails: Talk" group.
To post to this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Search Discussions

  • Colin Law at Sep 13, 2012 at 9:52 pm

    On 13 September 2012 21:41, Jeff Pritchard wrote:
    I have an old rails project that is currently in Rails 2.3

    I'm about to undertake updating the project to Rails 3.2.

    The old project's production server is on mysql 5.0 and has a medium
    size database (not huge, but certainly big enough that I need to keep
    the data after I upgrade the app).

    If I do a modern deployment of Rails 3.2 (apache and latest stable mysql
    on latest suse linux) I'm wondering if I will be able to just copy the
    db over from the old server, or if there will be a need for some sort of
    a migration?

    Any info on what I'm up against there will be much appreciated.
    In that situation I would use mysqldump to get a dump of the db and
    create the new one from that. There may well be better ways however.

    Colin

    Thanks!

    --
    Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ruby on Rails: Talk" group.
    To post to this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com.
    To unsubscribe from this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ruby on Rails: Talk" group.
    To post to this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com.
    To unsubscribe from this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
  • Jeff Pritchard at Sep 13, 2012 at 9:20 pm

    Colin Law wrote in post #1075905:
    On 13 September 2012 21:41, Jeff Pritchard wrote:
    db over from the old server, or if there will be a need for some sort of
    a migration?

    Any info on what I'm up against there will be much appreciated.
    In that situation I would use mysqldump to get a dump of the db and
    create the new one from that. There may well be better ways however.

    Colin
    Thanks Colin!

    This is sort of:
    binary data --> long list of SQL statements
    long list of SQL statements --> binary data using new version of mySQL

    yes?

    Is this primarily to solve any compatibility issues between versions of
    mySqL rather than from rails 2.x to rails 3.x?

    thanks!

    --
    Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ruby on Rails: Talk" group.
    To post to this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com.
    To unsubscribe from this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
  • Colin Law at Sep 14, 2012 at 7:54 am

    On 13 September 2012 22:20, Jeff Pritchard wrote:
    Colin Law wrote in post #1075905:
    On 13 September 2012 21:41, Jeff Pritchard wrote:
    db over from the old server, or if there will be a need for some sort of
    a migration?

    Any info on what I'm up against there will be much appreciated.
    In that situation I would use mysqldump to get a dump of the db and
    create the new one from that. There may well be better ways however.

    Colin
    Thanks Colin!

    This is sort of:
    binary data --> long list of SQL statements
    long list of SQL statements --> binary data using new version of mySQL

    yes? yes
    Is this primarily to solve any compatibility issues between versions of
    mySqL rather than from rails 2.x to rails 3.x?
    Yes, rails should not care which version of mysql you are using. As a
    side note I use this as a way of backing up the database (by backing
    up the sql statements) as an emergency fallback in case the binary
    backup fails for some reason. I am not sure there is a good logical
    argument for this but it just seems like a good idea to have something
    one can actually read as a backup.

    Colin

    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ruby on Rails: Talk" group.
    To post to this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com.
    To unsubscribe from this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
  • Jeff Pritchard at Sep 14, 2012 at 2:17 pm

    Colin Law wrote in post #1075952:
    On 13 September 2012 22:20, Jeff Pritchard wrote:
    Colin
    Thanks Colin!

    This is sort of:
    binary data --> long list of SQL statements
    long list of SQL statements --> binary data using new version of mySQL

    yes? yes
    Is this primarily to solve any compatibility issues between versions of
    mySqL rather than from rails 2.x to rails 3.x?
    Yes, rails should not care which version of mysql you are using. ...
    Colin
    Thanks again Colin. I'm left still with one question though...are there
    any specific differences in Rails from 2.x to 3.x which result in
    important db content differences and non-compatible databases? (not to
    do with the other parts of the environment, but specifically the way
    that rails uses the database).

    Thanks!

    --
    Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ruby on Rails: Talk" group.
    To post to this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com.
    To unsubscribe from this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
  • Colin Law at Sep 14, 2012 at 2:58 pm

    On 14 September 2012 15:17, Jeff Pritchard wrote:
    Colin Law wrote in post #1075952:
    On 13 September 2012 22:20, Jeff Pritchard wrote:
    Colin
    Thanks Colin!

    This is sort of:
    binary data --> long list of SQL statements
    long list of SQL statements --> binary data using new version of mySQL

    yes? yes
    Is this primarily to solve any compatibility issues between versions of
    mySqL rather than from rails 2.x to rails 3.x?
    Yes, rails should not care which version of mysql you are using. ...
    Colin
    Thanks again Colin. I'm left still with one question though...are there
    any specific differences in Rails from 2.x to 3.x which result in
    important db content differences and non-compatible databases? (not to
    do with the other parts of the environment, but specifically the way
    that rails uses the database).
    Not that I can think of, but you will no doubt find out as you do the
    upgrade :) If you google for how to upgrade from 2 to 3 you will find
    numerous guides on how to do that. Look through those to see if there
    is any reference to database differences.

    Colin

    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ruby on Rails: Talk" group.
    To post to this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com.
    To unsubscribe from this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
grouprubyonrails-talk @
categoriesrubyonrails
postedSep 13, '12 at 8:47p
activeSep 14, '12 at 2:58p
posts6
users2
websiterubyonrails.org
irc#RubyOnRails

2 users in discussion

Jeff Pritchard: 3 posts Colin Law: 3 posts

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase