Rails 3.1.3

I am hoping some of you may give me suggestions about user input helper
methods.

I have a large set of model, Flight, and its fields are

airline, flight_name, departure, destination

As you can imagine, the flight data will be very large; it could be
thousands if it is international.

I will ask users to input the desired flight plan, and it will be
crucial if the users make mistakes when typing in the forms. So,
naturally I need some sort of input helpers.

Currently, I am planing on using TwitterBootstrap Typeahead method
http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/javascript.html#typeahead

But this requires the data to be ready as soon as the page is ready. In
that case, I am very afraid that CPU's and database processes would be
beyond the potential capabilities.

Do you think it will work if I put, say, the entire json data ready
prior to typing?

Or does anyone have any good suggestions for user-friendly input helper
methods?

Thanks

soichi

  • Pradeep Singh at Sep 10, 2012 at 4:54 pm
    Soichi san,

    There's a lot more to it than you're probably aware right now. Look at
    Lucene and Solr. There's a library in ruby to integrate with Solr -
    rsolr. There's a TermComponent in Solr that goes half way to what you're
    trying to do.

  • Soichi Ishida at Sep 10, 2012 at 11:37 pm
    Thanks for your answer.
    There's a lot more to it than you're probably aware right now.
    Does this mean in a bad sense? Am I underestimating the functionality
    requirement?
    Look at
    Lucene and Solr. There's a library in ruby to integrate with Solr -
    rsolr. There's a TermComponent in Solr that goes half way to what you're
    trying to do.
    Thanks. I will take a look.