I am following "Head First Rails" to learn Rails Web Application
Development.

To create a new web application from command prompt, the books says:

rails <app_name>

When I try the above command, it doesn't work. After little tweaking I
tried:

rails new <app_name>

This works but crashes the creation of directory structure in:
vendors/plugins.

Later I tried running this command (as mentioned in the book):
ruby script/server

This command doesn't works. I opened the Script folder and found that it
has only one sub-folder with the name Rails.

  • Jeffrey L. Taylor at Aug 18, 2012 at 6:10 pm

    Quoting Rubyist Rohit <lists@ruby-forum.com>:
    I am following "Head First Rails" to learn Rails Web Application
    Development.
    [snipped]

    You need to match major versions and preferably minor version of Rails. From
    the snipped part of your e-mail, it's clear that "Head First Rails" was
    written for Rails 2, which is no longer supported. My suggestion is find a
    tutorial written for Rails 3, preferably Rails 3.2 (the current version).

    HTH,
    Jeffrey

  • Rubyist Rohit at Aug 18, 2012 at 6:33 pm
    Please suggest an alternative to Head First Rails.

    Any no boring stuff with sample application lessons?

  • Saikiran mothe at Aug 18, 2012 at 6:35 pm
    Check this page

    https://plus.google.com/u/0/106410840031564395996/posts

    Cheers,
    Sai
    Please suggest an alternative to Head First Rails.

    Any no boring stuff with sample application lessons?

  • Jordon Bedwell at Aug 20, 2012 at 6:52 pm

    I am following "Head First Rails" to learn Rails Web Application
    Development.

    To create a new web application from command prompt, the books says:

    rails <app_name>

    When I try the above command, it doesn't work. After little tweaking I
    tried:

    rails new <app_name>

    This works but crashes the creation of directory structure in:
    vendors/plugins.
    vendor/plugins is dead and if I remember right won't even be supported
    in Rails 4, so it's better to rid of using it now. Any tutorial that
    recommends using it, under any circumstance is outdated and should not
    be used.
    Later I tried running this command (as mentioned in the book):
    ruby script/server

    This command doesn't works. I opened the Script folder and found that it
    has only one sub-folder with the name Rails.
    rails n dir -- create a new rails app
    rails s -- start rails server
    rails g -- generate commands
    rake -T -- list of rake commands

    rails has --help which will list base, and you can also do something
    like rails n --help and list help docs specific to rails new.