Hi,

I'm working on a Rails application. Recently my client is asking for an admin portal, which should be able to manage ticket as the one for the original one, and have some admin specific features additionally. And their authentications are different, the user portal uses Devise, while the admin portal uses basic HTTP authentication. My intuition prefers to create a standalone Rails project for admin portal, but they do share something like model, and forms. I'm worrying that split the project would break DRY. Does anyone can give me some advices? Thanks.

Best regards,
Zhi-Qiang Lei
zhiqiang.lei@gmail.com

  • Everaldo Gomes at Jul 21, 2012 at 1:39 am
    Hi,

    maybe you could create a Rails Engine.

    Take a loot at the Railscasts site
    http://railscasts.com/episodes/277-mountable-engines

    Best Regards,

    Everaldo
    I'm working on a Rails application. Recently my client is asking for an
    admin portal, which should be able to manage ticket as the one for the
    original one, and have some admin specific features additionally. And their
    authentications are different, the user portal uses Devise, while the admin
    portal uses basic HTTP authentication. My intuition prefers to create a
    standalone Rails project for admin portal, but they do share something like
    model, and forms. I'm worrying that split the project would break DRY. Does
    anyone can give me some advices? Thanks.

    Best regards,
    Zhi-Qiang Lei
    zhiqiang.lei@gmail.com

  • Thiagocifani at Jul 21, 2012 at 5:24 am
    Hey man, why your admin namespace is using http basic authentication? I think the best thing you can do is use devise with cancan to handle with authorization in your application.

    Sent from my iPhone