I'm a relative n00b when it comes to Rails. I've gone through Michael
Hartl's tutorials (both editions, books and screencasts) and I can build a
basic CRUD web app without help. However, for a personal project I'm
working on, I'm lost as to how to move forward. Here's the situation ...

I have a model called Project with two fields, name:string and due:date.
Project is associated (has_many) with a model called Task (with rows
back to Project with belongs_to. All this works fine.

What I'd really like to be able to do is click on a particular project on
the Project#index page and be taken to a page that lets me enter as many
tasks as I need ... not just one at a time. I'm wondering how I can do
this? Do I need to use AJAX or one of the popular JS frameworks?

Can anyone point me to an example of how to do this?

Thanks in advance!

  • Colin Law at Jul 4, 2012 at 8:17 am

    I'm a relative n00b when it comes to Rails. I've gone through Michael
    Hartl's tutorials (both editions, books and screencasts) and I can build a
    basic CRUD web app without help. However, for a personal project I'm working
    on, I'm lost as to how to move forward. Here's the situation ...

    I have a model called Project with two fields, name:string and due:date.
    Project is associated (has_many) with a model called Task (with rows
    back to Project with belongs_to. All this works fine.

    What I'd really like to be able to do is click on a particular project on
    the Project#index page and be taken to a page that lets me enter as many
    tasks as I need ... not just one at a time. I'm wondering how I can do this?
    Do I need to use AJAX or one of the popular JS frameworks?

    Can anyone point me to an example of how to do this?
    These railscast [1] and [2] show how to do what I think you want,
    however they are a bit out of date now. I see there are revised
    episodes but to get that you have to pay :(
    Start by looking at those to get the basic idea.

    Does anyone know of more up to date examples?

    Colin

    [1] http://railscasts.com/episodes/196-nested-model-form-part-1
    [2] http://railscasts.com/episodes/197-nested-model-form-part-2