Hello,

In my app there is a one-to-many relation between members and
member_phones.
Following code works in ruby 1.8.7, rails 3.0.3 but fails on heroku.

@member = Member.new
@member_phone=@member.member_phones.build

but this works on heroku:

@member = Member.new
@member_phone=MemberPhone.new

But this way I have specify

@member_phone.save!

otherwise it is not saved in database.

Now, my problem is that if thats the way I have to go then , how do I
create a collection/hash/array of member_phones so that I can accept
mutliple member_phones on the view. Again a problem here as I can't use
formtastic gem because for one it would require a lot of custom styling
and I already have an application template for the whole application
that I have to use. And , also the hosting service which I may end up
finally end up to host my app will not allow any gems installation.
Therefore, I am stuck with default setup and javascript/jquery use to
customise my views.

Thanks.

  • Colin Law at Jun 21, 2012 at 9:10 pm

    In my app there is a one-to-many relation between members and
    member_phones.
    Following code works in ruby 1.8.7, rails 3.0.3 but fails on heroku.

    @member = Member.new
    @member_phone=@member.member_phones.build
    In what way does it fail?

    Colin

  • Renu mehta at Jun 21, 2012 at 9:58 pm
    NoMethodError (undefined method `member_phones' for
    #<Member:0x000000022d3938>):
    app/controllers/home_controller.rb:43:in `member'

    Thats the error that I get.

  • Colin Law at Jun 22, 2012 at 7:29 am
    Please quote the previous message when replying, it makes it easier to
    follow the thread. Remember that this is an email list not a forum
    (though you may be accessing it through a forum. Thanks.
    NoMethodError (undefined method `member_phones' for
    #<Member:0x000000022d3938>):
    app/controllers/home_controller.rb:43:in `member'
    Please post the code of member.rb and member_phones.rb (snip out any
    irrelevant methods that may be there). Also the code from
    home_controller around the error. Thanks.

    Colin

  • Renu mehta at Jun 22, 2012 at 4:29 pm

    Colin Law wrote in post #1065643:
    Please quote the previous message when replying, it makes it easier to
    follow the thread. Remember that this is an email list not a forum
    (though you may be accessing it through a forum. Thanks.
    NoMethodError (undefined method `member_phones' for
    #<Member:0x000000022d3938>):
    app/controllers/home_controller.rb:43:in `member'
    Please post the code of member.rb and member_phones.rb (snip out any
    irrelevant methods that may be there). Also the code from
    home_controller around the error. Thanks.

    Colin
    home_controller
    def member

    @member = Member.new
    @member.family_id = random_number(5)
    @member_id=random_number(6)
    @member_phone=@member.member_phones.build
    end

    And the view member.html.erb has :

    <label>
    <%= text_field "member_phone", "home_phone", :class =>
    "input_text" %>

    </label>

    class MemberPhone < ActiveRecord::Base

    belongs_to :member, :foreign_key => "member_id"

    end

    class Member < ActiveRecord::Base
    alias_attribute :family_member_id, :member_id

    has_many :member_addresses , :foreign_key => "family_member_id"

    has_many :member_phones , :foreign_key => "family_member_id"

    accepts_nested_attributes_for :member_addresses
    accepts_nested_attributes_for :member_phones

    end

  • Colin Law at Jun 22, 2012 at 7:59 pm

[...]

    The foreign_key spec here is not required as member_id is the default.
    It should not do any harm however.
    end

    class Member < ActiveRecord::Base
    alias_attribute :family_member_id, :member_id
    What is the purpose of the above line? Does the members table have a
    column with one of those names? If so, why?
    has_many :member_addresses , :foreign_key => "family_member_id"

    has_many :member_phones , :foreign_key => "family_member_id"
    The above line says that member_phones (not members) has a column
    family_member_id. Has it?

    Colin