Hi,

I am a newbie in rails. I am creating a rails app where I query an existing
database consisting of multiple tables. I created a model file
corresponding to each database in the model folder. Now the problem is I
want a consolidated view for all the models. My app will basically take
some inputs from user and generate a summarized view based on the given
inputs by querying multiple tables (and thus interacting with many models).
So shall i create just one controller and put the entire logic in it?? or
can i transfer some logic to helpers? What would be the ideal design in
this case?

Any help is really appreciated!!

Thanks & Regards,
Shalini Sah

  • Colin Law at Jun 20, 2012 at 2:11 pm

    I am a newbie in rails. I am creating a rails app where I query an existing
    database consisting of multiple tables. I created a model file corresponding
    to each database in the model folder. Now the problem is I want a
    consolidated view for all the models. My app will basically take some inputs
    from user and generate a summarized view based on the  given inputs by
    querying multiple tables (and thus interacting with many models). So shall i
    create just one controller and put the entire logic in it?? or can i
    transfer some logic to helpers? What would be the ideal design in this case?
    There should be very little logic in the controller, but logic in the
    controller is usually best moved to the models. Helpers can be used
    to remove logic from the view. Can you give an example of the sort of
    logic you are talking about?

    Colin
    Any help is really appreciated!!

    Thanks & Regards,
    Shalini Sah

  • Aleksey V Zapparov at Jun 20, 2012 at 8:28 pm

    I am a newbie in rails. I am creating a rails app where I query an
    existing database consisting of multiple tables. I created a model
    file corresponding to each database in the model folder. Now the
    problem is I want a consolidated view for all the models. My app will
    basically take some inputs from user and generate a summarized view
    based on the given inputs by querying multiple tables (and thus
    interacting with many models). So shall i create just one controller
    and put the entire logic in it?? or can i transfer some logic to
    helpers? What would be the ideal design in this case?
    I think you need a separate model that will aggregate data from others.

    --
    Sincerely yours,
    Aleksey V. Zapparov A.K.A. ixti

    *Origin: Happy Hacking!