Very interested in IOS and perhaps later Android client that connects to my
ruby on rails server app.
What are good resources, books, tutorials, blogs to check and dive in as a
ruby developer want to develop a simple client to begin with, who has
experience on this topic and can share some insights?

In the basics my IOS client will be a client for the rails app wich is in
basics just a simple social media site with just profiles and images I
would like to list, later on I want to add messaging but for now get the
basics and learn how this should work.
I have a bit of knowledge of objective C and a little bit of experience
with Xcode and the basic principles, So I'm not a total Newbie on this.
Whats so unclear is how to "Connect" Rails app <--> IOS client.

* Advised is not to use general rails app controllers(?) so you write a set
of "iPhone" controllers instead?
* Are there any write-ups on how to start with Xcode for connecting it to a
rails app?
* Books, Ebooks, Blog posts anything to get you started?
* Commercial "starter kits or screencasts to buy to get you up and running
fast based on professional best practice methods ? "
* You use JSON / XML to communicate?
* For login I use devise, heard its hard to implement in IOS clients ( In
basics I will leave login out )

Any other thoughts on this matter? Would love to learn how to write a cool
IOS client for my Rails app.
Hope someone can get me and other future newbies to this matter on "Track"
;)

  • Jim at Jun 18, 2012 at 2:36 pm
    Probably the easiest way to communicate with your rails app from iOS is to
    use regular http requests. I haven't used json, but I've seen Objective C
    libraries for parsing json, so that's an option. It's also very simple to
    create plists for use with [NSDictionary dictionaryWithContentsOfURL:url]
    (keep in mind that is a synchronous call, meaning your iOS app will not
    respond while the request is handled; Cocoa contains asynchronous commands
    as well but that's definitely more advanced). The ability to specify a
    format for a request and use the appropriate view could make this simple to
    do in your existing controllers as well, although if the flow of your data
    will be completely different it's also easy to set up an api controller.

    I've only handled HTTP 401 authentication in iOS, but that is very simple
    with the NSURLCredential class. A quick glance at the Devise docs indicate
    it has support for 401 basic and digest authentication.

  • TJ Usiyan at Jun 19, 2012 at 2:19 pm
    http://allseeing-i.com/ASIHTTPRequest/ is tried and true
    http://restkit.org/ is only slightly less so

    iOS 5 added NSJSONSerialization - http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/Foundation/Reference/NSJSONSerialization_Class/Reference/Reference.html
    Which is nice.

    Those bits should cover the glue. there are other options, of course.

    TJ