Hi,

I'm new to RoR. I am interested in Project Fedena (http://projectfedena.org/),
an open source school information system. Actually the bare open source
code base is not much help to me by itself, but Foradian sells a "Pro"
version (http://www.fedena.com/solutions). The project has been in the open
source for three years, but I can't find a single 3rd party open source
contribution. That worries me. They claim that fedena is in use in over
40,000 schools, but NOT ONE 3rd PARTY MODULE?

The price for the "Pro" version is very very competitive. I am thinking
"too good to be true". If I saw an active developer community I'd feel
better. Even the forums are fairly vacant, except for installation issues.
I need to make a recommendation soon to our school director. The other
system is PHP based and will likely be much more expensive.

Can anyone here vouch for the quality of the code? Is it inherently
extensible because it is a rails application? I have a need to add LDAP
support, and if the code is well-structured, I'd hope that wouldn't require
a lot of work.

Any insight that you have would be appreciated.

  • Ashutosh verma at Jun 13, 2012 at 9:06 am
    Fedena is good and written on ROR , you can use it without any trouble for
    a long time.
[...]

  • Hassan Schroeder at Jun 13, 2012 at 2:22 pm