Hello,

I am developing a small site for client and currently their static site
is hosted on godaddy. And they don't want to move to another host for
certain reasons. Godaddy has the following configuration for the plan
that they want to go with :

Support Ruby and MySQL Versions:

Ruby 1.8.4

Ruby on Rails up to 2.3.2

Rubygems 1.3.1

MySQL 5.0.91

And they don't allow any gems to installed if it is not there.

Now, my question is that is it possible for me to get gems that I need
on my local machine and copy/paste in some folder in the apps code so
that I don't have to install it while deploying - and I am still able to
use the gem/plugin? If there is no workaround for it then its going to
take a long-long time to finish the project if I have to code everything
myself.

Thanks in advance for any help.

RM.

  • Walter Lee Davis at Jun 7, 2012 at 8:24 pm

[...]

    You can vendor all the gems, including Rails, but you're going to be hamstrung by that creaky-old Ruby, which may be too old for most versions of Rails still running and certainly will cause havoc with your other gems. That you can't do anything about. I wouldn't touch GoDaddy with a barge pole anyway, but this sounds like an untenable situation for anything written in the last two years.

    Walter
    RM.

  • Renu mehta at Jun 7, 2012 at 8:28 pm

    Walter Davis wrote in post #1063613:
    on my local machine and copy/paste in some folder in the apps code so
    that I don't have to install it while deploying - and I am still able to
    use the gem/plugin? If there is no workaround for it then its going to
    take a long-long time to finish the project if I have to code everything
    myself.

    Thanks in advance for any help.
    You can vendor all the gems, including Rails, but you're going to be
    hamstrung by that creaky-old Ruby, which may be too old for most
    versions of Rails still running and certainly will cause havoc with your
    other gems. That you can't do anything about. I wouldn't touch GoDaddy
    with a barge pole anyway, but this sounds like an untenable situation
    for anything written in the last two years.

    Walter
    I may be able to convince them to move another host. But then what are
    the good and cheap options for hosting which give a little control
    regarding the gems but doesn't burden me with setting up everyother
    thing(i.e. ruby, rails, mysql, phpmyadmin etc.)- basically cheap,
    reliable managed hosting.

    Thanks.
    RM.

  • Walter Lee Davis at Jun 7, 2012 at 9:10 pm

[...]

    Is Heroku an option for your application?

    Walter
    Thanks.
    RM.

  • Renu mehta at Jun 7, 2012 at 9:24 pm
    I haven't worked much with heroku before- basically learning. Do they
    support mysql? Their logging was not good before as it allowed only last
    100 lines. Has it changed recently? What other limitations does it have
    in the production enviornment?

  • Matt Jones at Jun 8, 2012 at 10:53 am