Hello,

I am writing a RoR application that connects to a couchDB database using
couchrest_model.

The definition of my model is the following one:

class BdsDataAuthor < CouchRest::Model::Base
property :id, Integer
property :first_name, String
property :last_name, String
end

I would like to be able to get the list of the model columns, e.g., the
result of
BdsDataAuthor.columns would be [id, first_name, last_name]

Is it possible? I saw that active_record provides this kind of method
(column_names), but since I am not using active_record...

A solution that I tried is to create a method in the model class (it
works but its not the "best" solution...):

def getColumns
columns = Array.new
columns << "id"
columns << "first_name"
columns << "last_name"
end

Any idea/suggestion to solve this problem?

Thank you

  • Guilherme Dutra at May 21, 2012 at 11:59 am
    *columns*(table_name, name = nil) *public*

    Returns an array of
    Column<http://apidock.com/rails/ActiveRecord/ConnectionAdapters/Column>
    objects
    for the table specified by table_name. See the concrete implementation for
    details on the expected parameter values.

    Try this.
[...]

    Atenciosamente,
    Guilherme Pereira Dutra,
    Fone: (34) 8407-0109

  • Guilherme Dutra at May 21, 2012 at 12:01 pm
    Ah sorry, I didn't see that you aren't using Active Record...

    --
    Atenciosamente,
    Guilherme Pereira Dutra,

  • Matt Jones at May 21, 2012 at 1:53 pm

[...]

    I haven't used CouchRest, but a quick skim of this:

    https://github.com/couchrest/couchrest_model/blob/master/lib/couchrest/model/properties.rb

    seems to indicate that what you're looking for could be accomplished with:

    BdsDataAuthor.properties_by_name.keys

    --Matt Jones

  • Paulo Carvalho at May 21, 2012 at 2:14 pm
    Thanks for your answer.

    I will try the properties_with_values method to see if it returns what I
    want.

    Best regards