On input in a text area, the user can se the return key which generate
a \r\n inside the string
the address is stored per se the way it was keyed in ..

@partner[:bank_location]
=> "92, Place Honoré d'Urfé\r\n35140, La Chapelle-Saint-Aubert"

When displaying it inside a table cell, the \r\n is ignored , and the
generated html is :
92, Place Honoré d'Urfé
35140, La Chapelle-Saint-Aubert
but it's not displayed like that ...
I rather get :
Adresse 92, Place Honoré d'Urfé 35140, La Chapelle-
Saint-Aubert

Is there a way to modify this behavior or should I gsub the string to
insert html <br> tags ??

thanks for feedback

  • Scott Ribe at May 16, 2012 at 3:45 pm

    Is there a way to modify this behavior...
    No, there is no way to modify "this behavior" of how the HTML standard treats, and has always since day 1 treated, whitespace.

    --
    Scott Ribe
    scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com

  • Jeremy Walker at May 16, 2012 at 3:47 pm

    On input in a text area, the user can se the return key which generate
    a \r\n inside the string
    the address is stored per se the way it was keyed in ..

    @partner[:bank_location]
    => "92, Place Honoré d'Urfé\r\n35140, La Chapelle-Saint-Aubert"

    When displaying it inside a table cell, the \r\n is ignored , and the
    generated html is :
    92, Place Honoré d'Urfé
    35140, La Chapelle-Saint-Aubert
    but it's not displayed like that ...
    I rather get :
    Adresse 92, Place Honoré d'Urfé 35140, La Chapelle-
    Saint-Aubert

    Is there a way to modify this behavior or should I gsub the string to
    insert html <br> tags ??
    I've always used gsub. I normally have a function called nl2br that's just
    gsub("\n", '<br/>') . In my views I just call = nl2br(address)

    thanks for feedback

  • Erwin at May 16, 2012 at 4:15 pm
    OK thanks , thats' what I thought initially... as you defined a
    function .. and I'll define a function .. and many others have done
    before us .. this could have been defined in the core String class...
[...]

  • Jeremy Walker at May 16, 2012 at 8:04 pm

    OK thanks , thats' what I thought initially... as you defined a
    function .. and I'll define a function .. and many others have done
    before us .. this could have been defined in the core String class...
    I just went to write this and discovered there's a helper
    called simple_format that does exactly the same thing.

[...]

  • Erwin at May 17, 2012 at 8:23 am
    Thanks a lot for feedback...