Hi guys, I really thought I had this sorted, but I cant figure this out!

I'm building an app (ruby 1.9.3, rails 3.2.2).

The app has teams, and in my teams_controller I want to have a method
called apply_to_coach_team, with a form that allows you to apply to
coach a new team.

The problem is, every time I click the link to go to the form I get the
message:

Couldn't find Team with id=apply_to_coach_team

The app seems to be going to the teams#show method, and looking for a
team with the id above.

in routes.db I have:

match "/teams/apply_to_coach_team" => "teams#apply_to_coach_team", :as
=> :apply_to_coach_team

my teams_controller is just an empty method

def apply_to_coach_team

end

and my view is just a stub for now

<h1> apply to coach new team </h1>

My link to this page looks like this :

<%= link_to "apply to coach new team", apply_to_coach_team_path, class:
"btn btn-mini btn-action" %>

Can anyone tell me what simple mistake I'm making please!??

Thanks in advance

  • Michael Baldock at May 8, 2012 at 10:36 am
    I got it!

    For anyone else who's a bit rails rusty, and has forgotten this the
    route to the new method has to go BEFORE the other routes created by
    resources :teams

    match "/teams/apply_to_coach_team" => "teams#apply_to_coach_team", :as
    => :apply_to_coach_team

    resources :teams

    This makes sense when I think about it!

  • Azizmb.in at May 8, 2012 at 11:28 am
    You could also do:

    resources :teams do
    member do
    get :action_which_acts_on_member
    end

    collection do
    get :action_which_acts_on_collection
    end
    end

    I find this cleaner, and this also generates named path helpers without
    requiring you to provide :as option.

    For anyone else who's a bit rails rusty, and has forgotten this the
    route to the new method has to go BEFORE the other routes created by
    resources :teams

    match "/teams/apply_to_coach_team" => "teams#apply_to_coach_team", :as
    => :apply_to_coach_team

    resources :teams

    This makes sense when I think about it!

    - Aziz M. Bookwala

    Website <http://azizmb.in/> | Twitter <https://twitter.com/azizbookwala> |
    Github <http://github.com/azizmb>

  • Chris Allport at May 8, 2012 at 11:44 am
    Run "rake routes" from the command line to see what the system
    expects. Depending on the results from "rake routes", you probably
    need to change your link to call the path method differently. Maybe
    you need to call it passing in @team.id, or maybe the method should
    have a different name.
[...]

  • Michael Baldock at May 10, 2012 at 8:41 am
    Cheers for the help guys, the routes for members / the collection is
    interesting I'll need to read more about how these work, cheers