For those of you who recommend the public folder, the only problem with
that for me and I'm sure others is that we may want some uploads to be
private, and prevent users from simply browsing the public directory on
our webapps to look at every-bodies uploads. By using our own custom
folders we can prevent this with very little code.

  • Matt Jones at May 9, 2012 at 11:45 am

    For those of you who recommend the public folder, the only problem with
    that for me and I'm sure others is that we may want some uploads to be
    private, and prevent users from simply browsing the public directory on
    our webapps to look at every-bodies uploads. By using our own custom
    folders we can prevent this with very little code.
    By correctly configuring your server, you can prevent this without *any*
    code. "Options -Indexes" on Apache, "autoindex off" in nginx.

    --Matt Jones