Let's say I have a model called User. User has two attributes or table
columns: id, username

By using the code below I can check that there is a username "Tom" and
return 1 ifthere is and 0 if there is not

User.find_by_username("Tom")? 1 : 0

How would I find out Tom's corresponding id?

For example I'm looking for something along the lines of:
User.find_by_username("Tom").id

  • Colin Law at Apr 26, 2012 at 7:22 am

    Let's say I have a model called User. User has two attributes or table
    columns: id, username

    By using the code below I can check that there is a username "Tom" and
    return 1 ifthere is and 0 if there is not

    User.find_by_username("Tom")? 1 : 0

    How would I find out Tom's corresponding id?

    For example I'm looking for something along the lines of:
    User.find_by_username("Tom").id
    That will work except that you should probably check that Tom exists,
    as it will throw an error if he does not (as you would be effectively
    saying nil.id).

    Colin

  • Michael Pavling at Apr 26, 2012 at 7:23 am

    How would I find out Tom's corresponding id?

    For example I'm looking for something along the lines of:
    User.find_by_username("Tom").id
    (user = User.find_by_username("Tom")) ? user.id : 0