Hi,

Might not be the right place to post this, but doesn't hurt to try.

Does anyone know of a nice Ruby SMTP server implementation out there? I've
searched around but only found some code snippets. I'd like users from my
web app to be able to interact with the application by sending emails, so
each user would get some unique id like: a3bv424b52fff@mywebapp.com, and
sending a message to it would trigger some logic in the server related to
the account of the user. The alternative is to use postfix, but I'd rather
avoid the learning curve.

Any hints appreciated,

Thanks in advance!

- Marcelo.

  • Gr2020 at Apr 21, 2012 at 9:00 pm
    Here's one:

    https://github.com/aarongough/mini-smtp-server

    Greg
    each user would get some unique id like: a3bv424b52...@mywebapp.com, and
    sending a message to it would trigger some logic in the server related to
    the account of the user. The alternative is to use postfix, but I'd rather
    avoid the learning curve.
  • Matt Jones at Apr 22, 2012 at 7:36 pm

    Might not be the right place to post this, but doesn't hurt to try.

    Does anyone know of a nice Ruby SMTP server implementation out there? I've
    searched around but only found some code snippets. I'd like users from my
    web app to be able to interact with the application by sending emails, so
    each user would get some unique id like: a3bv424b52fff@mywebapp.com, and
    sending a message to it would trigger some logic in the server related to
    the account of the user. The alternative is to use postfix, but I'd rather
    avoid the learning curve.
    The mini-smtp server posted previously might work, but if you're going to
    be doing a lot of email stuff I'd recommend using postfix anyways - it's
    got a lot more power in terms of filtering mail, retrying deliveries,
    ratelimiting spammers, verifying SPF + DKIM headers, etc: all stuff that
    you'd have to re-implement manually with a Ruby server.

    --Matt Jones

  • Marcelo de Moraes Serpa at Apr 23, 2012 at 3:13 am
    @Greg, thank you for that! I'll check it out.

    @Matt, it's just a prototype as of now, I'd rather keep it simple so the
    idea of having to mess with postfix kind of scares me. But I'll keep it in
    mind :)

    Cheers!

    - Marcelo.

    so each user would get some unique id like: a3bv424b52fff@mywebapp.**com<a3bv424b52fff@mywebapp.com>,
    and sending a message to it would trigger some logic in the server related
    to the account of the user. The alternative is to use postfix, but I'd
    rather avoid the learning curve.
    The mini-smtp server posted previously might work, but if you're going to
    be doing a lot of email stuff I'd recommend using postfix anyways - it's
    got a lot more power in terms of filtering mail, retrying deliveries,
    ratelimiting spammers, verifying SPF + DKIM headers, etc: all stuff that
    you'd have to re-implement manually with a Ruby server.

    --Matt Jones

    For more options, visit this group at